New Collings ukuleles

I have a Collings UT1 that I’ve played the snot out of. It’s the best sounding ukulele I own. Bought it October 2013. I would let it go for the right price.

Does your Collings UT1 have Bill Collings' name on the label. This makes it a collectible. Collings UT1 uke which don't have Bills name on the label will be a lot less collectible. The noise they make does not matter, it is the involvement of Bill Collings which makes the ukes a fine collectible.
This current batch seems to be an effort to clean out the woodshed, I am not sure if the Collings marketing department understand the selling power Bill Collings had. A batch that is just made to clean out the woodshed is going to need a lot to get the same status as those made under the supervision of Bill himself. However, they are sure to be well made and sound great.
Only time will tell if the value will increase and those returns will be seen by my grand kids.. in the mean time I can enjoy the sound.. :)
At one time the same was said for MyaMoe.. And other luthier and brands..
From the looks of it the uke and collectible market has been cooling off.
Who knows the last batch of Collings ukes (39 in all) will be more famous. They do sound good! I wish I knew some one with a UT1K with whom I could compare..
any one in SF area with a UT1K?

The current batch from what I've seen look identical in every way to my UC1, with the exception of the faint pencil inscribed 'Bill' on the label - it's almost illegible and if you didn't know it was there, I doubt anyone would spot it. I've also a UT2 and with the exception of the 'haircut headstock' and gloss finish it is 100% the same build quality as the UC1. Just thought I'd add that for no reason - my observation.

Who knows the last batch of Collings ukes (39 in all) will be more famous. They do sound good!

That is a limited run if they only made 39. I guess that dashes the hopes of us who might like one with a different wood, or different top.

Thanks for posting about the new Collings ukes, everyone! I might not have known about them otherwise. Instead, this thread resulted in a special NUD for ol' Steedy.

I saw a new Collings Koa Tenor on the Artisan Guitars website yesterday, and dreamed about it in my sleep last night. Since their store is local to me, I had to go see it today!

According to Bill Warmoth, who owns Artisan Guitars, Collings had a few sets of Koa that were too small to make guitars so they used them for ukuleles. He said Collings built 33 Koa ukuleles in this batch, most of them sopranos and concerts, with only a handful of tenors. Artisan Guitars got one of those Koa tenors, and today that one came home with me!

Pics or it didn't happen, right?

20191002_190830.jpg20191002_190832.jpg20191002_191218.jpg20191002_191817.jpg20191002_191911.jpg

I looked it over closely in the store and it has a very clean build, and is very tidy inside. It's very light with some pretty Koa and a nice satin finish, and it sounds amazing, with lots of volume, sustain, and resonance. Intonation is spot on, as well. It appears to have 'UT1K' handwritten on the label and it came with Savarez strings. I'm just guessing, but I'd say it compares favorably with Collings' earlier production ukes.

I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to check out this ukulele in person, and to score a new Collings uke, which are rare as hen's teeth these days! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting about the new Collings ukes, everyone! I might not have known about them otherwise. Instead, this thread resulted in a special NUD for ol' Steedy.

I saw a new Collings Koa Tenor on the Artisan Guitars website yesterday, and dreamed about it in my sleep last night. Since their store is local to me, I had to go see it today!

According to Bill Warmoth, who owns Artisan Guitars, Collings had a few sets of Koa that were too small to make guitars so they used them for ukuleles. He said Collings built 33 Koa ukuleles in this batch, most of them sopranos and concerts, with only a handful of tenors. Artisan Guitars got one of those Koa tenors, and today that one came home with me!

View attachment 121757View attachment 121758View attachment 121759View attachment 121760View attachment 121761

I looked it over closely in the store and it has a very clean build, and is very tidy inside. It's very light with some pretty Koa and a nice satin finish, and it sounds amazing, with lots of volume, sustain, and resonance. Intonation is spot on, as well. It appears to have 'UT1K' handwritten on the label and it came with Savarez strings. I'm just guessing, but I'd say it compares favorably with Collings' earlier production ukes.

I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to check out this ukulele in person, and to score a new Collings uke, which are rarer than hen's teeth these days! :)
They do sound good! Congratulations!!

View attachment 121757View attachment 121758View attachment 121759View attachment 121760View attachment 121761

I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to check out this ukulele in person, and to score a new Collings uke, which are rare as hen's teeth these days! :)

Are you sure he said "sopranos and concerts"? As far as I know, Collings never made any sopranos in the past. I could be wrong.

P.S. I hope you enjoy your new Collings. They are very nice instruments.

Last edited:
Are you sure he said "sopranos and concerts"? As far as I know, Collings never made any sopranos in the past. I could be wrong.

P.S. I hope you enjoy your new Collings. They are very nice instruments.

He said sopranos, but maybe he meant to say "concerts and tenors", I don't know. Thanks!

From what I heard it is concerts and tenors only.

Yes, I think Mr. Warmoth may have mis-spoke, because a few minutes later he mentioned the concerts but didn't say anything else about sopranos. I'm just thrilled to have gotten one of the Tenors.

I'd say my UAS is now cured, but I know better than that, LOL! :)

Can you snap a shot of the case it came in? Wondering if they are different than the original tenor cases Collings used. Thanks, Rick

I believe it is the same case as before, super snug and slim

Yes, looks the same in the last post. Makes me wonder if Collings had "X" number of these super high end cases left over and decided to fill them up and move them out. They are so well matched to their ukes I bet they wouldn't fit many other ukes.

Music Emporium appears to have a UC1-K also. I had a great experience buying from them in the past, (probably the best experience I've had), so someone snap that one up so I don't. LOL.

Top Bottom