Beerbelly's SG ukulele build

beerbelly

Reaction score
Thanks for stopping by. I mentioned in the Introductions forum that I'm building a ukulele-size Gibson SG Junior, based on my old '64.

I scaled down some online drawings and decided a tenor size with 17" scale seemed to translate pretty well. The body and neck will be Sapele, with a black single coil pickup, a wraparound bass bridge, and Kluson-style white button tuners.

All the parts have arrived, and yesterday I cut and sanded the scarf joint for the tilt-back Gibson-style headstock. Here are a few photos:

Attachments

• sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 116
  • SG & sketch.jpg
    SG & sketch.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 178
  • parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 109
  • scarf, sanded.jpg
    scarf, sanded.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 115
  • scarf.jpg
    scarf.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 121
Got the neck blank glued up & the headstock thickness cut. It seems like glueing and clamping the scarf cut can be kind of tricky; the two pieces want to slide apart as you apply clamping pressure. A guy online showed how he screws the parts together (outside of any finished area) before glueing, then backs out the screws, applies the glue, and then screws the parts back together to set up; it worked great. I'm going to use a carbon fiber rod in the neck to help keep it straight and true.

Attachments

• IMG_1864.jpg
    IMG_1864.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1865.jpg
    IMG_1865.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1866.jpg
    IMG_1866.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 46
I always find it interesting when coincidences happen. I've been wanting an SG bass uke for a while and found a builder in South Africa who is now making one for me. He's about half way through, just sent me a couple of progress photos. It's 22.8" scale, African mahogany, natural finish.

SG progress 1 front 1024.jpg

SG progress 2 back 1024.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

That's a beauty! I can only hope mine turns out that well. Mine will be the classic Heritage Cherry with a black headstock.
I always find it interesting when coincidences happen. I've been wanting an SG bass uke for a while and found a builder in South Africa who is now making one for me. He's about half way through, just sent me a couple of progress photos. It's 22.8" scale, African mahogany, natural finish.

SG progress 1 front 1024.jpg

SG progress 2 back 1024.jpg

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

A friend of mine is planing the body blank for me, so while I'm waiting, I'm determining the neck pocket angle. I believe the angles on a Gibson are 15˚ at the headstock, with a 4˚ neck angle.

I put a 1/4" spacer under the bridge to allow for the stud & bushing thicknesses, plus a little for adjustment. Then I set a board across the top of the nut & bridge and set my angle finder on it. Looks like it wants to be a 2.30˚ angle in the neck pocket for this scaled-down version.

Attachments

• IMG_1876.jpg
    IMG_1876.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1890.jpg
    IMG_1890.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1885.jpg
    IMG_1885.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 31
Got the body blank planed and cut out, and finished the routing and wiring channel drilling today. I'm using a mini-pot volume control, so all the wiring channels converge in a simple 1" dia. control cavity. I'm holding off on the neck pocket; waiting for an 1/8" dia. bit to route the CF rod channel so I can finish the neck first.

My bridge doesn't have the adjusting screws that the Gibson bridges do, but it does have starter hole inside the wings; I'm going to drill & tap those so I have more adjustability.

Attachments

• drilling & routing front.jpg
    drilling & routing front.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 37
  • drilling & routing back.jpg
    drilling & routing back.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 39
  • side jack.jpg
    side jack.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 40
  • bridge no holes.jpg
    bridge no holes.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 35
  • bridge starter holes.jpg
    bridge starter holes.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 36
Doing some mocking up today to check fit. I had to Dremel out a little clearance for the lugs on the volume pot- it's tight in there, but the pot & jack fit in there without bumping into each other. I've drawn out the edge details, and I'll be working on chamfering the edges today.

Attachments

• knob & pointer.jpg
    knob & pointer.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 36
  • pot in cavity.jpg
    pot in cavity.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 35
  • cavity from side.jpg
    cavity from side.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 35
  • front mock up.jpg
    front mock up.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 45
Edges chamfered today; photos show sanded and also with naptha.

Attachments

• front chamfered & sanded.jpg
    front chamfered & sanded.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 35
  • back chamfered & sanded.jpg
    back chamfered & sanded.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 33
  • front chamfered & naptha.jpg
    front chamfered & naptha.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 36
  • back chamfered & naptha.jpg
    back chamfered & naptha.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 41
That's looking really good, very nice work. Now I'm thinking of doing a bass uke in the style of Brian May's (Queen) guitar, 22.75" scale with my own two hands instead of having it done by a builder.

You have an impressive collection of basses! Did you make any of them?

No, but I did convert a few of them from guitar to bass. They're ready mades that I have modified. Oh, and not being able to sleep last night, I surfed the web and discovered that Brian May makes a mini BM guitar that would be perfect for me to convert to bass, so that eliminates me making it.

It's looking really good, beerbelly. I am enjoying watching your build progress.

Installed the 4mm MOP position markers on the fretboard. Glued in with water-thin superglue, then sanded flush to the board.

Attachments

• fretboard & dots.jpg
    fretboard & dots.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 20
  • dots, close.jpg
    dots, close.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 18
Drilled & tapped bridge for adjusting screws today.

Attachments

• bridge adjust.jpg
    bridge adjust.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 34
Well, one step back.... As I was routing the channel for the carbon fiber rod, the bit loosened up and poked through the back of the neck. I got some more material, made another neck blank, and was successful the second time around.

Attachments

• IMG_2027.jpg
    IMG_2027.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2030.jpg
    IMG_2030.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 30
Top Bottom