Beerbelly's SG ukulele build

Got the neck roughed out today, and the neck pocket routed. I ended up with a pocket angle of 2.80˚ to keep the action fairly reasonable.

Attachments

• neck & pocket.jpg
    neck & pocket.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 36
  • neck in pocket.jpg
    neck in pocket.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 35
  • pocket angle.jpg
    pocket angle.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 33
  • string angle.jpg
    string angle.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 33
  • neck mock-up top view.jpg
    neck mock-up top view.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 35
Just curious: How did you arrive at the 2.8 degree angle offset?

I mocked up the angle by laying a board from the nut to the bridge, and measured it with an angle finder. I figured that if I wanted to keep the fretboard at a similar angle, I needed to cut that angle in the neck pocket. My initial reading was 2.30˚, but I found I needed to increase it to 2.80˚.

Attachments

• angle finder mock-up.jpg
    angle finder mock-up.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 18
  • string angle.jpg
    string angle.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 14
Very interesting thread...Nice looking instrument, Is it going to be sprayed translucent red ?...My only criticism is that S.G. stands for Solid Guitar..so this has to be a S.U. model :)

Yes, it will be transparent cherry red with a black headstock, like my '64 SG. I use Stew Mac's Cherry Red. It's getting the full treatment- sanding sealer, grain fill, cherry red and clear lacquer topcoat. Then wet sanded and buffed.

Drilled headstock and glued up fretboard today.

Attachments

• gluing fretboard.jpg
    gluing fretboard.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 32
I'm gluing the neck on Daniel, just like Gibson does it.

I made a lot of progress on the neck today, including installing the frets, the side dots, and shaping the back of the neck.

Attachments

• fretted neck.jpg
    fretted neck.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 24
  • side dots.jpg
    side dots.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 23
  • neck & body mock up A.JPG.jpg
    neck & body mock up A.JPG.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 26
  • neck joint A.jpg
    neck joint A.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 23
  • neck joint B.jpg
    neck joint B.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 26
Not to detract from your work, but I just received more progress photos from Brian Fanner in South Africa on the progress of my bass.

SG progress.jpg

Not to detract from your work, but I just received more progress photos from Brian Fanner in South Africa on the progress of my bass.

SG progress.jpg

Looking fantastic!

Made a pick guard and a jack plate for mine today, and installed the bridge studs (under yellow vinyl masking). Also ran a ground wire to one of the studs.

Attachments

• pickguard & jack plate.jpg
    pickguard & jack plate.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 16
Neck glued in, fret board taped off, and Behlen vinyl sealer applied. Next step is grain filling with Behlen Pore-O-Pac, a nasty job, but it will really highlight the wood grain under the transparent cherry color.

Attachments

• sealer front.jpg
    sealer front.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 35
  • sealer back.jpg
    sealer back.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 35
Grain filled:

Attachments

• pore-o-pac front.jpg
    pore-o-pac front.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 32
  • pore-o-pac back.jpg
    pore-o-pac back.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 26
Got the grain filler applied yesterday, then sanded it this morning and applied the transparent cherry lacquer. Next comes many coats of clear lacquer over several days, a few weeks of curing, then wet sanding & polishing.

Attachments

• Uke front painted.jpg
    Uke front painted.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Uke back painted.jpg
    Uke back painted.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Uke body front painted.jpg
    Uke body front painted.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 38
I just had to mock it up next to my '64:

Attachments

• painted mock up & '64 SG.jpg
    painted mock up & '64 SG.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 53
B.B. - This looks like it will be a screaming banshee steel string ukulele. What pick-up will you be installing? I see a real niche for steel string amplified solid body ukes to support acoustic guitar players with tasteful leads and chord work beyond the reach of 6 string strummers. Looking for a beautiful outcome.

The pickup is a black, covered single coil I got from C.B. Gitty. I don't think it's anything special, bit it looks a little like the P90 on my Gibson.

I put a total of 8 coats of clear lacquer on it over the last few days; now some down time while it cures.

Attachments

• cleared.jpg
    cleared.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 42
Top Bottom