for low dGBE/low G: koaloha tenor vs kanilea tenor vs kanilea super tenor

13down

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can advise based on experience which of the following nice Hawaiian ukes would sound better with dGBE tuning (re-entrant D, with the second note being the same octave G as in "low G" tenor tuning):

Kanile'a Tenor

Kanile'a Super Tenor

Koaloha Tenor

I've heard a recording of the Koalohas tuned dGBE - Gordon Marks. The Kanile'as I have not heard much of. There are minimal recordings of the Kanile'as even in regular low G.

To be more specific: I find that many tenors start to sound, for lack of a better word, limp when tuned dGBE. Sometimes a tenor will sound decent (if not great) tuned gCEA but will just not sound good with the lower tuning. I know that in general, the better the instrument is, the better it will sound in any tuning. Nonetheless, I still suspect that some good tenors sound better than others with this tuning.

Since it will be hard for me to try out all of these instruments in person, I'd really like to hear others' takes, based on direct experience or just speculation!

Ideally, you want a (bare minimum) 19" scale neck, tenor size body uke for re-entrant D string (G baritone tuning) for full body resonance wise. Why you are calling it "low-d" and "re-entrant" in the same sentence makes no sense and is confusing (low anything insinuates linear tuning not re-entrant). With appropriate tension strings.... anything is possible but it won't necessarily sound "ideal".

Last edited:
First off re-entrant dGBE is not very popular and certainly not on a tenor. The shorter scale length and smaller body size compared to a baritone has a hard time supporting the lower tuning. That being said Craig Chee does offer a string set for what you are looking to do and does play a Kanilea tenor that way.

Ideally, you want a (bare minimum) 19" scale neck, tenor size body uke for re-entrant D string (G baritone tuning) for full body resonance wise. .
I don't understand those two statements. You mention body resonance but then say tenor body is fine. I don't see what neck length has to do with it. Maybe you're saying you want the higher tension the longer scale provides but you can get higher tension with string selection.

First off re-entrant dGBE is not very popular and certainly not on a tenor.
It used to be. Lyle Ritz used to be a big proponent of it, for example.

I'll say one other thing about the Chee string set. Be prepared for some setup work as they are FAT. I got a set hoping to try on my tenor but there was no way they were going to fit and I'm not about to mess with the bone nut on that instrument.

I don't know about high end uke's but my Caramel Tenors sound just fine dGBE. I have a solid cedar and Rosewood Ohana tenor dGBE and find it nice as well. The Ohana is my highest grade Uke but I play my Caramels a lot more.

I did several dGBE reviews ( search the reviews) and tested many different string sets, including the Chee set, but found D'Adarrio Flurocarbons, Worth Browns and Fremont Blackline were better. Just use std Tenor strings they may be a bit loose but work just fine. DGBE also works fine on a tenor you can use a Fremont soloist for the low D. My favourites are the Fremont Blacklines The only difference in the Blackline Tenor and Baritone strings are a slightly thicker D/G string.

FOund the youtube" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNS55uyHfvw
This is a a review of eight different strings sets on four Ukuleles for dGBE and DGBE tuning (G6) for tenor ukuleles. Five standard Tenor sets and three Bari-tenor sets of strings.

I'm just a strummer so my playig is so so.

The stings last a lot longer too.

If it doesn't work for your ears, just tune it up to C tuning, no cost!

Last edited:
Top Bottom