FS: Southcoast Ukes Tenor Guitar x 2

southcoastukes

Reaction score
FS:SouthCoast Ukulele TENOR GUITAR(S)

Hello Ukulele Undergound family,

This is Sheldra Wormhoudt. Up for your consideration are a pair of tenor guitars. These are the last two instruments from the final production run of Southcoast Ukes that I have been neglectful in updating the advertising.

Before we found out the shock about Dirk's illness, he had designed and had built 3 tenor guitars after working on them including the design and wood collection for about 12 months. On one of the instruments he had produced, he commissioned a New Orleans artist name Seva Venet to produce several videos to document the sound. That instrument was played at his memorial on 25 August 2018, now over one year ago by Seva Venet who re-arranged his tour schedule to play at the memorial. That instrument was sold to one of Dirk's friends who is a musician in California. These are the other two instruments left from that final production. It took me a while to get these listed for sale with Jim's help, but with a very demanding job and the emotional aftershock from the loss of Dirk I didn't stay on top of this, but hopefully someone who knew of his passion and love for what he did will want one of these instruments.

The luthier is Guillermo Porras Salazar of Costa Rica. Dirk worked on the specs for months, spent several months collecting the woods, and Guillermo spent another 6-8 months on the instruments. Dirk intended these instruments and those to follow to be his premium instruments which is why he had the videos made.

The woods used were:
Top : Lutz Spruce (Canada)
Back and sides : Cenizaro(monkeypod) (Costa Rica)
Neck : Melina (Costa Rica)
Fingerboard : Brown Ebano (Columbia)
Armrest : Ziricote (Nicaragua)
Internal woods : Lutz spruce

-IF YOU HAVE OTHER QUESTIONS I MIGHT BE ABLE TO ANSWER CONTACT ME AT SHANNWORMHOUDT@ATT.NET or call 504 452-0096.

Photos of the first instrument are available here : https://imgur.com/a/2fEEHkj
Photos of the second instrument are available here : https://imgur.com/a/4b1hJkQ

Here is the consolidated video of the demos of the "litter mate" of these two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdYWJPT-mGI

If you are interested in discussing the instruments (will disclose as much as I know) or in discussing price, Please direct inquiries to shannwormhoudt@att.net or call 504 452-0096.

Thank you for you consideration,
Sheldra Wormhoudt

Last edited:
Southcoast Tenor Guitar #1

Hey folks,
I was honored to be asked to provide some technical assistance with hosting the pictures and video. Here are some pictures of the first instrument:

22rK15Ol.jpg

YOaFalil.jpg
vZxWsLAl.jpg

Yxpdzdyl.jpg

Demo video

A word about the audio here. All I did to the 6 videos was splice them together, applying a noise reduction plugin followed by a limiter to bring the overall volume of each video to the same level as the loudest one. (If you want the technical details, the "integrated loudness" of each playing sample was -17.5 dbFS after processing.) This meant that the limiter did get tripped very briefly in several spots but other than that there is no compression or EQ applied. I believe we're hearing a true, clean representation of this instrument's voice.

Wow, love the design, wood choices and sound samples! I'm guessing nut width and scale length would be valuable information to post here Sheldra. Assuming they are tuned C G D A in the sound samples?

Wow, I think that #2 is a gorgeous instrument. I suspect somebody is going to be very, very happy!

Great job Jim. Lovely instruments.

Also, it sounds like the nut is 1.5" as I got this from Sheldra: "I measured across the 4 strings which was 1 1/4 inches-between the strings was 3/8 of an inch."

Bump. These instruments are still available. Sheldra has removed the price from the original post. Contact her directly if you're interested in discussing

Top Bottom