Kamaka string change

Katzuke

Reaction score
I own a very lovely Kamaka HF1 100th Anniversary Soprano ukulele.
It came with its original Kamaka black nylon strings.
I have mixed emotions about keeping them on as I am not 100% thrilled with the sound and tone. Also, the don’t stay in tune. I have to tune them every time I take it out of the case.
The ukulele has a nice tone and resonance, it’s just the strings make it dull sounding.
I have considered replacing them with Martin M600 clear fluorocarbon strings like I have on my Martin 5K soprano which I love the sound of.
What should I expect sound wise? Has anyone else done this. Are you pleased with the change?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It should stay in tune after the strings have stretched for a couple of days. If it has friction tuners they may need some tightening.

All very true, good call on the tuners. Nylon strings, once settled are as stable as fluorocarbon. I find fluorocarbon is brighter, louder with more sustain. Definitely give them a try, especially if as you say you don’t like the sound of the Kamaka as it is now

If you are going to use M600, do tie more knots for the g and A string for the slotted bridge end.

I own a HF1 and the Slot holes for g and A is too big for the M600. I would hate to see the string pop off and cause damage to the bridge.

I have PHD strings on my HF1 though. I like M600 on my Martin S1 but it sounded a bit too bright and one dimensional for my taste if on the kamaka HF1.

I own several Kamakas and my strings of choice are M600s. As others have said, knotting them can be tricky and you can end up damaging the bridge because at some point they *will* pop off (this has happened to me, nothing my luthier couldn't fix so no big deal). Rather than tying many knots, you could also try tying the string to a small seed bead, which should be just the right size to not pop through the bridge slot - I've been experimenting with this. Sometimes the beads will break from the tension, so it can be a little tricky as well. But (IMO) M600s sound *so* much better than those black nylon strings!

Not a fan of the black strings. I love the sound of Aquila reds on Kamakas. I find they add brightness to the deep bass tones.

Sort of worried about the comments about strings popping off.
Can you elaborate a little?
Do you mean fluorocarbon strings require a larger knot to stay in the bridge? Thanks!

Sort of worried about the comments about strings popping off.
Can you elaborate a little?
Do you mean fluorocarbon strings require a larger knot to stay in the bridge? Thanks!

The M600 is like the thinnest fluorocarbon I have used and the kamaka bridge has some of the largest A string slotted type hole. Not a good combi at all. I do have experiences of popped off A string due to this, not the kamaka but on uke with similar size slot hole.

Yes, I meant that I would make a bigger knot to make sure the string stays in the bridge. But as others have mentioned, a bead would be a more elegant solution. Hope this helps.

With all this said, what would be the best strings for the HF1?
I know this can be a personal choice, but I want the best sound I can get.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Best is truly in the “ear” of the beholder. Some like bright some like warm. Some ukes sound better to the owner with bright strings some with warm. Ukes can be as individualistic as the owner.

The only way to know is trying different types. Worth CL, Martin M600, Living Water soprano gauge. They are all fluorocarbon but will sound a bit different.

To my ear, nothing tops the Martin M600s, but I've been almost as pleased with D'Addario Fluorocarbons which are a tiny bit thicker so I've had slightly less issues with having to tie a gigantic knot. But in the end, all the fuss with getting the Martin G and A strings knotted just right is worth it to me.

I haven't tried these yet, but these ukulele bridge beads look like they might be a good solution.

Top Bottom