Season 398 - Ooh La La

RAB11

Reaction score

Hello all! This week is going to be dedicated to what I am going to call verbal punctuation.

The premise is simple. Whenever my mum and I are on a road trip, or playing cards over a brew, there will be music on, which we will sing along with. The best singing comes from the songs that have got an "oooh", or an "oh", or "la" or "dadada" or something of that ilk. My mum is not a fantastic singer, must be where I get it from, and she'll always overegg the falsetto for comedic effect.

So basically what I want from you fine people this week is a song with some singing in the lyrics that aren't really words, just a way to use your voice as an instrument. Think 500 Miles, think the ending to Dont You Forget About Me, something that you can just belt out. Give me some yeahs, even tack a baby on the end of it if your name is spelt with a y.

Originals welcome as long as they are more imaginative than my effort above. Better yet give me some actual verses for that song.

I'm gonna say scatting doesn't count in this instance.

Normal rules apply. Start is midnight Hawaii time which everyone knows when is, finishes midnight Sunday next week,

1 song per day unless you reaaaaaaally got something good to give me. This may be lifted as I'm actually off work most of the week.

Ukulele front centre and the main part of the performance, vocals aside obviously. Multi tracking is fine but remember this is a uke forum.

If you cant sing, great. This stuff is made for singing as loudly and as horribly as you can muster.

(Bonus points if you can annoy your offspring like I've done. Two weeks at school and hes already a surly teenager)

And dont forget Val is still nobly flying the flag on Season 397 for another day and a half ish.

Playlist will be added when there is stuff to put on it.

OOOOOOOOH YEAH!

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
I'm not sure my voice IS an instrument ... but great idea, Ryan!

Open invitation to yodel ...

It was on Ryan's music of the 90's season that Ralf posted this gem. Forgive me! I had to re-post it to this thread so we could all get a chance to witness the awesome power of Ohh La La!

It was on Ryan's music of the 90's season that Ralf posted this gem. Forgive me! I had to re-post it to this thread so we could all get a chance to witness the awesome power of Ohh La La!

Quite aside from this being one of my favourite videos from that week, this is EXACTLY what I'm after.

Any Australian over a certain age will know "ooh mow ma mow mow, ooh mow ma mow mow" as the refrain from the 1969 hit "The Real Thing". A psychedelic goodie from Russell Morris.It was deservedly huge.Nonsense existential lyrics but what a production and catchy hooks.Check out the original if interested.My cover doesn't do it justice. Thanks Ryan!

Plenty of "la"s in this one.

I hope this is the kind of thing you're looking for. I don't know anything about Frozen Ghost except that they were Canadian. I found this cassette in a clearance bin back in the 80s and it turned out to be a pretty good tape.

Well day one was fantastic. Already got an original that's an instant earworm, some expected covers and some new ones that have blown me away. Seems that no matter the artist, no matter the style, theres always at least one of these in the back catalogue.

Here's another from me, by Muse.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!

I can officially confirm that there WILL in fact be prizes this week.

I'm currently working on a demo EP of sorts made of songs that I've written for the seasons. Started the first track this afternoon and it's coming along well.

My three favourite videos this week will get a CD copy of this EP when it's eventually finished. I'm hoping to get a few songs done this week and the rest when I'm off over Christmas so in all likelihood the top three from the next season I host will get this too.

I'll share a sample when I have one to share.

Darlington County

Hope I've got this right. Anyway, here's a number about two likely lads from NYC on the make.

This time next week, I'll be in NYC myself. Any Seasonistas in the Big Apple want to hit me up, PM me. :)

How about songs with emphatic "HMMMMM"s? HMMM's are like oooh's and ahh's, they just couldn't afford to but a vowel.

No scatting? Aw man...

Enjoy your time off. Be back soon with something.

Top Bottom