Question on Soprano Ukes.

rps

Reaction score
Hello all,

I currently have a Little Gem banjo-uke. I have been thinking about trying out a soprano and was wondering what I should look for in deciding which ones in our music store are of good quality. I do play guitar and have an idea of what a good guitar should look and sound like.

I have been watching some of the “gottauke” reviews but they seem to be on specific brands which our local music store does not carry.

I’m a hands on guy, so I seldom buy anything over the net without actually trying it first. Any ideas and tips will be appreciated.

Thanx. Rp

What brands are at your local shop?

Sounds like you should be able to rely on your own feelings about the available ukes.

(I normally recommend concert scale for a beginner, & Kala or Ohana.)

What brands are at your local shop?

EDW, while the website has a number of brands, the store where I live stocks Kala, Leho, Gretsch, Epiphone. There are a few others that mostly look like toys. Of the stocked brands they have numerous models of Kala et al.

Sounds like you should be able to rely on your own feelings about the available ukes.

(I normally recommend concert scale for a beginner, & Kala or Ohana.)

Croaky Keith, what’s interesting is I’m in a uke circle and virtually everyone has a tenor.....makes me wonder if I should go that way....but I do like the portability of the soprano.

Croaky Keith, what’s interesting is I’m in a uke circle and virtually everyone has a tenor.....makes me wonder if I should go that way....but I do like the portability of the soprano.

I think that in my uke circle most people who don't play guitar use a concert or a soprano. It may be a good idea to ask the tenor players in your circle why they chose this large size. My first uke was a tenor, and this was because I started out as a guitar player and when I was in a uke store for the first time and I noodled around the owner suggested the tenor size because I'm a guy, and because it also can sound decent with low G. However, after a while hearing all the other ukes in the circle I realized that the tenor (with linear tuning) sounds more like a little guitar than a "real" uke, and I got a strong desire for a smaller size. Though I could not get comfortable with the tiny neck of a soprano, I eventually settled for a concert and then also a six-string Lili'u that I both have in re-entrant tuning which gives me a decent uke sound combined with playing comfort. A long-neck soprano may even be better.

I love the playability of my concert
I love the range and ‘flexibility’ of my tenor
My soprano is too small for my fingers to easily play.

And as my skill(sort of) has increased, I’m looking into a getting a baritone.
But! I would NEVER suggest a newer player get a baritone- it’s too large to easily stretch the fingers and make the chords.

When I first started out, I bought a tenor (too big a stretch for my hand), then a soprano (too tight spacing), then a concert (which felt right, for me).

But I actually spent more time learning on my 4th purchase, a Kala KA-SLNG (a long neck soprano) - nowadays my favourite size is a long neck concert.

EDW, while the website has a number of brands, the store where I live stocks Kala, Leho, Gretsch, Epiphone. There are a few others that mostly look like toys. Of the stocked brands they have numerous models of Kala et al.
What you know about selecting a good guitar is relevant to ukes. Intonation. Fit & finish. Is it comfortable to play and do you like the sound? Here on UU we love the infinite quest to find The Greatest Uke In The World but honestly, there's no need to over-think this. Go to the store, play all the ukes, and buy the one you like best.

Of the brands you mention, I am most familiar with Kala and I can highly recommend them for a nice playable uke at a good price. You'll probably prefer solid wood over laminates.

I happen to think soprano is the easiest size to play. This is one of those choices where everybody has an opinion but you can't take anyone else's word for it. You'll have to figure out for yourself which size is best for you. If you can play a soprano (and you'll find out at the store when you play them) then it's a pretty safe investment you will enjoy owning. Even if someday you buy a tenor, too.

As for uke circles, what often happens is the group is loud which prompts people to bring a larger uke so they can hear themselves play... which makes the group still louder... and so it goes until everybody is playing tenors, baris, resonators and banjo ukes. Your Little Gem has that problem solved :cool:

Acmespaceship that is indeed a wise suggestion. I shall do that, realising that I must adjust to the soprano as well.

As for my Little Gem, I tend to sit in a back corner as it seems to be the loudest there. You are right about circles...some times your playing gets lost in the sounds. One reason I’m looking to get another Uke ( UAS notwithstanding ) is that I’m also starting to sing songs while playing and I’m finding my Gem sometimes doesn’t suit the song I’m doing....often a more gentle tone would be better.

You certainly can't go wrong with one of the Kala models. While I believe they are laminates, I have heard pretty good things about the Gretsch instruments. Good luck and let us know what you find

I love my Kala solid cedar top concert, but I guess it all boils down to the sound you like. That Little Gem is really loud and to me it seemed to have a really wide neck (I have little hands). I'm with everyone else. Go play around in your store or talk to the people in your group. I'm sure they'd let you give a little strum on their ukes. One will hit your hands and you'll just say "voila!"

As I and others mentioned, a long neck soprano will give you the sweet soprano sound but be a bit easier to play. Big manufacturers like Kala, Ohana, and also Gretsch have sopranos with concert or even tenor length necks available. They are all similar in quality in the same price range so when you go to the store you can focus on important things like neck shape and comfort, and also by looks. I find that ukes with highly figured looking wood and a lot of ornamentation tend to be lower quality unless they are very, very expensive (>2K).

this may sound terrible... but look up Glarry and go through their soprano section. They have some beautiful wood, Aquila strings, some with a case and some without, FREE shipping, and prices you probably will not believe are real! They are that inexpensive. Look at their concerts also.

Ignore the name on the headstock, unless you have a big budget. Then stick to the known USA made brands if you want to get an opportunity for good re-sale.

That's quite the contradiction. Most generic music stores also don't carry any US made ukuleles, only large stores with special uke rooms or specialized ukulele dealers.

Sopranos are often tricky if intonation is important to the player. If not among the top 3ish priorities, then there are way more options.

I was told by a high quality shop that they send back 1 out of every 3 Kala (non-Elite) they receive due to QC.

My 1st uke was a soprano. Then headed the other direction, due to intonation, especially up the fretboard - got several tenors. For the moment, I'm really into concerts.

Caveat emptor w/ online reviewers. The one you mentioned is one I find mostly UNhelpful.

I'm actually quite attracted to the Romero Creations/D Ho ST Concert - tenor lower bout/(resonantes more than average!), concert scale, soprano total length. Likely to have solid intonation (I've only tried the solids). There's a laminate (lower maintenance) UkePack for well under $300 USD. https://www.romerocreations.com/ukepack

Last edited:
My first ukulele was a Kala long neck soprano (KA-SLNG), and I wish I had stopped there and kept it as my one and only instead of slipping down the UAS rabbit hole. Gretch aren't too bad, depending on the model, can be pretty nice. I don't know a lot about Leho, but my initial impression was they look a lot like Kalas, but more money. But you're trying them in person, so you'll be able to see for yourself which one wants to go home with you.

Well I went to Long and McQuade and tried out their ukes. What I realised was I really didn’t like any of the sopranos.
What I did like was the Kala Thinline Travel Uke in concert scale. I looked at it as if I was buying a classical guitar and it appeared to pass all the tests I would have used if it was a guitar. What I really liked was the head stock was gapped at the nut so you could actually get your fingers easily on the first fret for chords. I find the Bms to be a little difficult with my Little Gem as the head stock gets in the way. So the Kala May be my choice.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/9970/Guitars/Ukuleles/Kala/Thinline-Travel-Concert-Ukulele.htm

Sorry for the link, I haven’t figured out how to insert a photo yet.

Well I went to Long and McQuade and tried out their ukes.
Ah I see you are in Canada. Our Long and McQuade in Regina has a very pathetic uke selection and I have never seen a uke there that I would even want to try. Many cities have alternative stores that are more guitar/string instrument oriented where you might be able to have a better choice.

Top Bottom