Question on Soprano Ukes.

Hello Merlin, Go Roughies! I live in Windsor. Our L&M stocks a number of ukes....many of the lower end models. But they do carry better level Kala, Leho, the also carry Denver, Epiphone, the occasional Gretsch and in a blue moon a Godin.

I do not like ordering of the web as I like to actually play in advance. But if a sister store has a model in stock they will have it shipped...you must make a deposit which is refundable if you choose not to buy. There are a few music stores in the area but most have either toy models or none at all.

Well I went to Long and McQuade and tried out their ukes. What I realised was I really didn’t like any of the sopranos.
What I did like was the Kala Thinline Travel Uke in concert scale. I looked at it as if I was buying a classical guitar and it appeared to pass all the tests I would have used if it was a guitar. What I really liked was the head stock was gapped at the nut so you could actually get your fingers easily on the first fret for chords. I find the Bms to be a little difficult with my Little Gem as the head stock gets in the way. So the Kala May be my choice.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/9970/Guitars/Ukuleles/Kala/Thinline-Travel-Concert-Ukulele.htm

Sorry for the link, I haven’t figured out how to insert a photo yet.

Interesting choice. I do like that one too, and the thin body kind of brings it a bit away from a concert sound towards a soprano sound (kind of). I bought one once but returned it as the spruce top was a bit too bright for my liking, but I've been curious as to a new version they came out with (EMTU), but still haven't tried it yet.

Eddy Finn makes a really nice travel ukulele. I have three, and made a master bag so all three are in separate soft cases inside of that. One is low g (linear) one high G (reentry) and the third with a low g and a low a. I call it (blues) with 7ths, it is killer!

I think that sometimes there gets to be a sort of group mentality where everyone has to have what the others have, so over time everyone in the group might end up playing tenor. Or maybe concert or soprano, it just depends on what the group lands on. A lot of people like tenors. I'm always having people tell me I should get a tenor. Usually if I ask it is because they have one and they like it. I have played tenors that belong to other people. I myself have a soprano and two concerts. I've played other people's tenors, and I can't tell the difference between the three. I have pretty large hands. As far as my own ukes, I play one of the concerts more than I play either of the other two and I don't know why. I suppose that one might say that because I play my concert more than my soprano that I must prefer that size. I don't know about that. I don't play the other concert any more than I play the soprano, even less. Maybe I play that one because it is prettier. Anyway, to sum it up, to me it makes no difference, I'll play anything. Just buy something and play it.

Last edited:
"Just buy something and play it"

Best advice I've ever seen on a ukulele forum.:agree:

FWIW I'm a soprano kinda guy.

John Colter

Top Bottom