Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on Soprano Ukes.

Quote Originally Posted by rps View Post
    EDW, while the website has a number of brands, the store where I live stocks Kala, Leho, Gretsch, Epiphone. There are a few others that mostly look like toys. Of the stocked brands they have numerous models of Kala et al.
    You certainly can't go wrong with one of the Kala models. While I believe they are laminates, I have heard pretty good things about the Gretsch instruments. Good luck and let us know what you find

I love my Kala solid cedar top concert, but I guess it all boils down to the sound you like. That Little Gem is really loud and to me it seemed to have a really wide neck (I have little hands). I'm with everyone else. Go play around in your store or talk to the people in your group. I'm sure they'd let you give a little strum on their ukes. One will hit your hands and you'll just say "voila!"

As I and others mentioned, a long neck soprano will give you the sweet soprano sound but be a bit easier to play. Big manufacturers like Kala, Ohana, and also Gretsch have sopranos with concert or even tenor length necks available. They are all similar in quality in the same price range so when you go to the store you can focus on important things like neck shape and comfort, and also by looks. I find that ukes with highly figured looking wood and a lot of ornamentation tend to be lower quality unless they are very, very expensive (>2K).

this may sound terrible... but look up Glarry and go through their soprano section. They have some beautiful wood, Aquila strings, some with a case and some without, FREE shipping, and prices you probably will not believe are real! They are that inexpensive. Look at their concerts also.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    Ignore the name on the headstock, unless you have a big budget. Then stick to the known USA made brands if you want to get an opportunity for good re-sale.
    That's quite the contradiction. Most generic music stores also don't carry any US made ukuleles, only large stores with special uke rooms or specialized ukulele dealers.

Sopranos are often tricky if intonation is important to the player. If not among the top 3ish priorities, then there are way more options.

I was told by a high quality shop that they send back 1 out of every 3 Kala (non-Elite) they receive due to QC.

My 1st uke was a soprano. Then headed the other direction, due to intonation, especially up the fretboard - got several tenors. For the moment, I'm really into concerts.

Caveat emptor w/ online reviewers. The one you mentioned is one I find mostly UNhelpful.

I'm actually quite attracted to the Romero Creations/D Ho ST Concert - tenor lower bout/(resonantes more than average!), concert scale, soprano total length. Likely to have solid intonation (I've only tried the solids). There's a laminate (lower maintenance) UkePack for well under $300 USD. https://www.romerocreations.com/ukepack

Last edited by Wukulele; 10-01-2019 at 05:31 AM. Reason: more info/opinion added
    keeping an eye out for a very special pre-owned concert....

My first ukulele was a Kala long neck soprano (KA-SLNG), and I wish I had stopped there and kept it as my one and only instead of slipping down the UAS rabbit hole. Gretch aren't too bad, depending on the model, can be pretty nice. I don't know a lot about Leho, but my initial impression was they look a lot like Kalas, but more money. But you're trying them in person, so you'll be able to see for yourself which one wants to go home with you.
    Glenn

Another Kala KA-SLNG fan here!! So darn comfortable, accurate intonation, and super-sweet tone!!

Well I went to Long and McQuade and tried out their ukes. What I realised was I really didn’t like any of the sopranos.
    What I did like was the Kala Thinline Travel Uke in concert scale. I looked at it as if I was buying a classical guitar and it appeared to pass all the tests I would have used if it was a guitar. What I really liked was the head stock was gapped at the nut so you could actually get your fingers easily on the first fret for chords. I find the Bms to be a little difficult with my Little Gem as the head stock gets in the way. So the Kala May be my choice.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/9970/Gu...rt-Ukulele.htm

Sorry for the link, I haven’t figured out how to insert a photo yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rps View Post
    Well I went to Long and McQuade and tried out their ukes.
    Ah I see you are in Canada. Our Long and McQuade in Regina has a very pathetic uke selection and I have never seen a uke there that I would even want to try. Many cities have alternative stores that are more guitar/string instrument oriented where you might be able to have a better choice.

Thread Information