Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Find Ukes, or Do Ukes Find You

Default Do You Find Ukes, or Do Ukes Find You

I have occasionally searched for a certain type of uke - resonator, banjo uke, sopranissimo, pineapple - but in most cases, the ukes found me.

I would see a picture of one, read a review, or see one posted here, and I was hooked. I may not have known this uke existed, but I just had to have it. Taking a quick look at my list of ukes, it seems that fifty-seven of them found me, rather than the other way around. Wow!

How have you decided what ukes to buy?
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I generally seek out certain uke brands & styles to try out. Then I keep an eye out on the usual dealer & for sale sites until I see one that fits the bill. Diversity of style & sound are my main criteria. My first "really good" ukulele kind of found me. A collector friend had two for sale, and I sat in his kitchen for an hour playing them both until I finally got a sense of which one was meant for me. I've "fished" for the rest of mine .......some keepers, some catch & release.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Kanilea KCS-SSP super soprano - circa 2016

The uke I have found me. I was ready for it though.
    Have a good soprano

My channel

After the first 3, different sized beginners, I have seen/heard or sought out the rest, & finally found my ideal ukes.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Usually I find the ukes, but occasionally one finds me -- which I don't appreciate. In fact, I had to get a restraining order against a Waterman.
    KoAloha tenor (Baggs 5.0) Godin MultiUke Pono Spruce/Acacia Baritone AB-SP Islander solid mahogany concert Kala spruce top "travel" baritone Islander laminate tenor (Pono passive) Ohana laminate tenor Islander laminate maple concert Kala Longneck Soprano laminate 12 Makala Dolphins/Sharks 1 Mahalo soprano my daughter's abandoned Flea

It's a bit of both for me. I usually seek out specific traits when hunting 'ukulele, but I never know which uke is going to strike my fancy.

My most recent example: I recently sought a uke to keep in the office as a beater for lunchtime practice sessions, leading my music group, and taking to evening jam sessions, strum circles, etc. My parameters were solid build quality, good punch, tenor scale length, and a price of less than $500 after purchase and installation of a pickup. I paid a visit to Penny Lane Music Emporium in Ft. Lauderdale expecting to walk out with a particularly good Kala import or fluke tenor, but while there, I encountered one of the store's most recent acquisitions: a near-mint used Pono mango pineapple tenor. Having previously encountered another Pono pineapple at a fellow UUers home, I set about demoing the used Pono.

Lo and behold, the Pono checked all the right boxes, the staff were able to do same-day installation of the pickup, and I walked out that same day with the Pono in hand. If I hadn't been looking for those specific traits, I probably would have passed on the Pono due to my general dislike for their neck profile.
    Last edited by bacchettadavid; 10-02-2019 at 06:28 AM.
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

I definetely find them, because I tend to do an awful lot of research until I find the one I'm looking for. A different thing is to find a uke out of the price range that I'd love to have but I can't really justify spending that much. In that case, the uke didn't find me, he just stares at me from the distance, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by bacchettadavid View Post
    It's a bit of both for me. I usually seek out specific traits when hunting 'ukulele, but I never know which uke is going to strike my fancy.

My most recent example: I recently sought a uke to keep in the office as a beater for lunchtime practice sessions, leading my music group, and taking to evening jam sessions, strum circles, etc. My parameters were solid build quality, good punch, tenor scale length, and a price of less than $500 after purchase and installation of a pickup. I paid a visit to Penny Lane Music Emporium in Ft. Lauderdale expecting to walk out with a particularly good Kala import or fluke tenor, but while there, I encountered one of the store's most recent acquisitions: a near-mint used Pono mango pineapple tenor. Having previously encountered another Pono pineapple at a fellow UUers home, I set about demoing the used Pono.

Lo and behold, the Pono checked all the right boxes, the staff were able to do same-day installation of the pickup, and I walked out that same day with the Pono in hand. If I hadn't been looking for those specific traits, I probably would have passed on the Pono due to my general dislike for their neck profile.
    Wow, you have a nice beater. My beater is a cheap $32 one I can keep in the office to practice fingering (can't really play, it's too loud) or shove in an overhead bag traveling. With new strings it's not bad, though I am going to have to reset a frets that's not set right. A metal nail file gets rid of those sharp fret cuts on along the edge of any cheap uke fretboard.

Quote Originally Posted by captain-janeway View Post
    A metal nail file gets rid of those sharp fret cuts on along the edge of any cheap uke fretboard.
    'Nice' to hear that's common, probably needs human labor. Wouldn't be half that pleased with my instrument without having done that, think I used bent sandpaper. Gave the nut a similar treatment. I like round edges.
    Have a good soprano

My channel

I would say that I found my first three. My fourth found me only by chance as I was looking for a different one and this one fell in my lap.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Thread Information