Fluke questions

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I have a concert Flea that I really like. I've never played a tenor Fluke, how would the sound differ from a concert Flea? I'd expect deeper, with more bass.

Also, would a concert Fluke and a tenor Fluke sound that much different, since they both have the exact same body size?

I like the sound this guy gets from his tenor Fluke, especially Mad World at 1:20. https://youtu.be/3BSANfnolfQ

The Fluke definitely has a deeper, fuller sound than the Flea. The tonal difference between a tenor and a concert Fluke is not really extreme, but the tenor scale does tend to “tighten up” the overall sound a bit. The real difference is the feel of the tenor scale as opposed to the concert, and that comes down to personal preference.

If money’s not a big issue, consider the solid tops (Koa or Spruce). They really take the Flukes and Fleas to another level.

Lots of information and experience here: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...ion-thread&highlight=Magic+Fluke+appreciation

Scooter

I agree. There is definitely a difference between the Flea and the Fluke, soundwise. The Fluke is fuller, warmer, a little deeper, I‘d say, whereas the Flea is brighter and more percussive. If you‘re into playing with a low g-string, go for the Fluke. I tried the low g on a concert and even a tenor Flea, but it doesn‘t work. I think the body doesn‘t really project the deeper notes properly.

Onn the other hand, the Fluke is a canon with a low g. I tried both a concert and a tenor Fluke and I don‘t think the difference here is really huge. As you said, John, the body is the same size. But I have to admit, I had a regular concert Fluke (with the laminate pine soundboard) and a tenor Fluke with the mahogany top and wooden (rosewood) fretboard. So it‘s not really a proper comparison.

THere was a soundclip comparing a standard Flea (concert) with a standard Fluke (also concert, I think) on the German Ukulele Forum, but I‘m afraid it disappeared. So much for the internet, that doesn‘t forget.

If you‘re interested, I could record a short soundfile with the soprano Flea, the tenor Flea and the tenor Fluke (mahogany). But that wouldn‘t be before Sunday, as I‘m on holiday right now. Just let me know.

Thanks for the video. How about the saddles on the tenor Flukes? I thought they had switched to removable saddles. I saw a new tenor Fluke on Reverb, and asked the dealer about the saddle, and was told it not removable, it was a single piece bridge/saddle. So, does the removable saddle feature only come on some higher end models?

Here are demos of both Fleas and Flukes, direct from the source!

Scooter

Not to hijack the thread but that’s a fun little riff...

I’d have to call Phyllis for confirmation, but I believe Fleas and Flukes with a polycarbonate fretboard get the one piece polycarbonate bridge/saddle and instruments with a hardwood fretboard get the wooden bridge with the removable saddle. I’m quite certain that you could special order a wooden bridge with a polycarbonate fretboard if you wanted to.

Here’s a link to MFC’s technical specs page.

https://www.magicfluke.com/Articles.asp?ID=279

FWIW, they absolutely love phone calls from customers and will answer any and all questions. Part of my love for Magic Fluke instruments is the people that make them. It’s always important to me to be happy about who I’m giving my money to and the folks at Magic Fluke are some of the nicest in the industry.

Scooter

Wow, that Fluke sounded great! I liked all three of them.

You can definitely hear the deeper voice of the tenor Fluke. I liked them.

But, just out of curiosity, do you normally cover the sound hole with your hand when you play these without a strap? Doesn't that muffle the sound a bit?

To my shame I did not even know about such models. It turns out cool to play them. I like the sound!

But, just out of curiosity, do you normally cover the sound hole with your hand when you play these without a strap? Doesn't that muffle the sound a bit?

Despite the name, the sound hole isn't primarily responsible for the sound - sound is created by the top vibrating. As long as you're not compressing the top and muffling it, the sound should be clear. Look at banjos - no hole there but they're bloody loud! The sound hole allows for sound waves projected backwards into the body to reflect out again. No doubt someone will come along and correct me here...

Despite the name, the sound hole isn't primarily responsible for the sound - sound is created by the top vibrating. As long as you're not compressing the top and muffling it, the sound should be clear. Look at banjos - no hole there but they're bloody loud! The sound hole allows for sound waves projected backwards into the body to reflect out again. No doubt someone will come along and correct me here...

That's correct. I have a custom made uke with no sound hole on top, it has a series of small sound holes all the way around the body and it projects very well.

Spalted done montage.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I have a Fred Shields Backpacker and it only has a side port. And it is loud!.

I do know that you can muffle part of the sound of a guitar or uke by covering the sound hole. It certainly doesn't silence it, but it does cut down on the volume. And the sound emitting from the soundhole seems to be somewhat directional. Don't they usually mic a uke or guitar by placing it at or near the sound hole?

I agree. There is definitely a difference between the Flea and the Fluke, soundwise. The Fluke is fuller, warmer, a little deeper, I‘d say, whereas the Flea is brighter and more percussive. If you‘re into playing with a low g-string, go for the Fluke. I tried the low g on a concert and even a tenor Flea, but it doesn‘t work. I think the body doesn‘t really project the deeper notes properly.

Onn the other hand, the Fluke is a canon with a low g. I tried both a concert and a tenor Fluke and I don‘t think the difference here is really huge. As you said, John, the body is the same size. But I have to admit, I had a regular concert Fluke (with the laminate pine soundboard) and a tenor Fluke with the mahogany top and wooden (rosewood) fretboard. So it‘s not really a proper comparison.

THere was a soundclip comparing a standard Flea (concert) with a standard Fluke (also concert, I think) on the German Ukulele Forum, but I‘m afraid it disappeared. So much for the internet, that doesn‘t forget.

If you‘re interested, I could record a short soundfile with the soprano Flea, the tenor Flea and the tenor Fluke (mahogany). But that wouldn‘t be before Sunday, as I‘m on holiday right now. Just let me know.
I am hesitating between a concert Fluke with wooden fretboard or a tenor Fluke with plastic fretboard (these are the two I have available now in Europe). They cost the same aprox. Watching demo videos it seems the tenor is deeper in sound but I don't know if the difference is so big so as to give up the wooden fretboard which for sure is more reliable and suitable to play (I do not plan to use wounded string in any case).

Is so pronounced the difference between them so as to go for the tenor size?
thanks for your feedback in advance from Spain!

I am hesitating between a concert Fluke with wooden fretboard or a tenor Fluke with plastic fretboard (these are the two I have available now in Europe). They cost the same aprox. Watching demo videos it seems the tenor is deeper in sound but I don't know if the difference is so big so as to give up the wooden fretboard which for sure is more reliable and suitable to play (I do not plan to use wounded string in any case).

Is so pronounced the difference between them so as to go for the tenor size?
thanks for your feedback in advance from Spain!
I do believe the body of the Fluke would be the same size on concert or tenor and only the scale length would be different. If one sounds better than the other to you, get it :) If you prefer concert or tenor scale length, get the one you like!

Top Bottom