Tuning ukulele up one step

AlbO89

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have an anuenue ut200, which is a very nice instrument. I have had some problems with the standard tuning and tried for fun to tune it into d. And wow - now it rings like crazy. Really like it. I have already high tension strings on it and I am afraid I will hurt my ukulele this way. Does anyone have experience with this? Its a well built instrument but still it might hurt it. Another option is of course to buy lower tension strings. I do not know if anyone can recommend me some? Perhaps worth browns?
Thanks!
Albert

Albert, I can vouch for Merlin's suggestion on the Aquila 33U's! They crank right up to "a D F# B" without any problem, and they don't feel "over-tense" at all!

I can't say I've tried tuning a tenor ukulele that high. To get lower tension you need a lighter weight, so yes I guess the lightweight Worth brown (BL) strings might work. I reckon string breakage might then be your risk, but I'd rather break a string than a uke.

Talking about bridges popping off.... We were in a performance with about 50 players. (we were in the front row) The fellow on my right had a BRAND NEW Kala concert. HIs headstock was poined at my head, so I moved my chair back so it was in front of me, off to my right . On the THIRD song of a brand new KALA, something went flying past my face, and then back going to my right, and I heard him holler out in pain! The bridge had come loose from th bridge, and when it went back, it smacked his hand very hard. Since then, I do NOT sit looking down anyone's gun barrel. and if I am leading a group I have them stagger their chairs, and explain why.

Albert, I can vouch for Merlin's suggestion on the Aquila 33U's! They crank right up to "a D F# B" without any problem, and they don't feel "over-tense" at all!

Thanks a lot for this suggestion. And these strings will also work on a tenor ukulele? I have decided to tune my ukulele down again to standard since I felt that it was pretty hard to play. But my uke needs to be in D6 it seems. It just resonates much more. So I will probably try the Aquilas if they work well on tenor.

Thanks a lot for this suggestion. And these strings will also work on a tenor ukulele? I have decided to tune my ukulele down again to standard since I felt that it was pretty hard to play. But my uke needs to be in D6 it seems. It just resonates much more. So I will probably try the Aquilas if they work well on tenor.

Albert, I totally overlooked the fact that your uke is a TENOR! I do apologize, and so honestly I'm not so sure that the Aquilla 33U's would be a good choice, as they are designed specifically for soprano. Sorry, my bad !!

Top Bottom