Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NUD: Sort of..1940s Martin 1C is back from Jake Wildwood

Default NUD: Sort of..1940s Martin 1C is back from Jake Wildwood

I snagged a 1940s Martins concert for a good price on Ebay a few months ago and posted a real NUD when I got it. It had a few cracks, but they were all well repaired, the setup wasn't bad, and the tuners were upgraded to Gotoh UPTs.

However, while it was good, it just wasn't as great as it could have been. The action was a hair on the high side for my tastes, and more annoying was that there were a few sharps fret ends and burrs that my pinky would sometimes catch on when moving closed position chords up the neck. I probably could have dealt with the burrs, but there wasn't enough saddle to lower the action the usual way, so I ultimately decided to send it off to someone who I knew had expertise in working on old ukes.

I don't remember where I first ran across Jake Wildwood, but at some point I became familiar with his work and his blog, so I gave him a ring and asked if he had time to set this up for me. Turns out this is his slow season so I shipped it off to him early last week.

Well he got the work done promptly and I got it back today. Jake was able to lower the action by resetting the neck a hair and he freshly leveled and smoothed out the frets. It is smooth and slinky. Plays and sounds great!

The uke made it onto his blog too, so rather than bore you with my crappy playing and lousy cell phone pics I'll just share the link to Jake's blog post where he includes a nice description of the uke and the work he did, along with some nice photos, and a nice video/sound sample.

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...t-ukulele.html

So glad I decided to send this too him!
    Last edited by CPG; 10-03-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    Weymann Model 10 Mahogany Soprano (c. 1918)
    David Hanson (Cripple Creek Mandolins) Mahogany Teardrop Soprano

Congrats, sounds great!
    John

Fabulous Martin concert, congratulations. Excellent choice on having Jake do the work, I agree with him the tortoise binding looks great on the uke.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Fabulous Martin concert, congratulations. Excellent choice on having Jake do the work, I agree with him the tortoise binding looks great on the uke.
    I was so excited that he had time to do it. He had an old message on his website that said anything shipped to him from out of town could potentially take a very long time. He had it done within two days of receiving it. Great guy to work with in addition to really REALLY knowing what he is doing. I would definitely send him stuff again if needed.

Nice! I had seen this on his blog and was wondering who was lucky enough to have this one.

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    Nice! I had seen this on his blog and was wondering who was lucky enough to have this one.
    Thanks! It's me!!!

Congratulations! It's a beauty.

Oh, you have rekindled a flame in my mind. I always assumed he was too busy to take my Martin Concert. Now I want to call and ask him! Congrats! I watched that on his blog and Wondered who the lucky duck was...YOU! Congrats!

Oh wow, very nice! I'm off to Oahu in a couple days and I think I'm gonna bring my old Martin Tenor to have HMS put some Gotoh UPTs on it. I've been going back and fourth about it for a while now but I think it's time.
    Pohaku, Soprano
    Flea, Soprano
    KoAloha, Concert
    Martin 1T, Tenor

Jake is so good ie. skillful and honourable that I have had him work on some ukes that were then sent to me in Australia.

Thread Information