Martin M600 Soprano/Concert Strings String Order Packaging Error

Brad Bordessa

Reaction score
Just a heads up for anyone who might have a set of the new pack (light green w/hibiscus flowers) Martin M600 strings for soprano or concert.

I put a set of these on a student's uke a few days ago and the string ordering on the paper sleeves was completely backwards! G was labeled as the 1st string and shows the A-string diameter, C was labeled as the 2nd string and shows the E-string diameter, etc...

I ended up doing two strings wrong before I realized that the gauges were messed up. Managed to correct the problem, but it's super easy to overlook and a newbie wouldn't know there was a problem at all.

FYI. Hopefully it gets fixed ASAP. But in the meantime, pay attention if you're going to put a set of these on. It seems the string diameters and numbering ARE correct.

Yes, that error has existed for a while on the packaging. It was the case with the premiums and standard ones. I contacted Martin a while back and they said they were fixing it. Hopefully that is now correct on new packages

I think that must've been one of the slightly older packages of strings.
I just got a couple of sets from Musician's Friend very recently. They probably sell quite a few sets, so maybe don't have any of the old stock left. That said, the ones I have are all correct. So hopefully this issue has been remedied now.
It's definitely something to keep an eye on, in case you get an older pack.

Geez, I hope that was an NOS pack (New Old Stock), because this has been going on for a year or more. They should have it together by now!

She got them here on island so that's probably likely. I hadn't heard anything about it. Sorry if this is a dupe thread.

She got them here on island so that's probably likely. I hadn't heard anything about it. Sorry if this is a dupe thread.
I think it's a good thread to have up, since these older sets are still out there.

And this is why it's probably worth it to keep an inexpensive digital caliper on hand...even a $10 eBay special would do the trick.

Agreed. It's usually easy to visually ID the C & E strings, its the G & A that get tricky.

Top Bottom