A little "resawing"

jupiteruke

Reaction score
Was out at the open house at Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford, Pennsylvania. Boy do they have wood. (The pickings through the 'cut-off' bins is pretty good, particularly for a ukulele builder. Koa for $2 a pound.) They saw a lot of wood from logs, with this little 67" bandsaw. The patent date on the cast iron is 1904. It used to saw timbers for the decks of battleships at the Philadelphia Pennsylvania Navy Yard. Boy does it go through wood. Care for a little black walnut? (By the way, black walnut when it is freshly sawn is pretty green in color. It takes a week or so to oxidize to the 'normal' purple/brown color.

Attachments

• IMG_20180928_141407.jpg
    IMG_20180928_141407.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20191004_124403.jpg
    IMG_20191004_124403.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20191004_124421.jpg
    IMG_20191004_124421.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 143
Lotta ukes in that slab :eek:

Double edge saw blade..Nice!
Yes, noticed that. One side with more TPF (I assume they measure in teeth per foot) than the other. Do they flip the blade or change direction of the feed?
Fascinating
Miguel

Nope, those are sliver teeth on the back of the blade. The actual cutting teeth are on the opposite side. When the log is run through the blade, it needs to be returned and reset for the next cut. Often times, a bit of bark or sliver of wood on the log can stick out and catch on the blade on return, throwing it off the band wheels. These teeth are there to cut through any obstructions on the back stroke of the log.

Nope, those are sliver teeth on the back of the blade. The actual cutting teeth are on the opposite side. When the log is run through the blade, it needs to be returned and reset for the next cut. Often times, a bit of bark or sliver of wood on the log can stick out and catch on the blade on return, throwing it off the band wheels. These teeth are there to cut through any obstructions on the back stroke of the log.
Thats very interesting! I didnt know that!... And while I was browsing Youtube looking for more info: on double edged blades, I came up with this "Backtooth blade" designed for cutting curves....Maybe its ok for cutting out tops and backs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMiS1f4qOR4

Last edited:
Top Bottom