FS: Kamaka HB-2D (Ohta San Model)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arob54

UU VIP
Reaction score
SOLDI am selling a 2005 Kamaka Ohta San HB-2D. It is one of Kamaka’s Deluxe models with flamed solid Koa top/back/sides, ebony bridge and fingerboard, maple top binding, rope purfling and rosette. I picked this up here on UU a few months back to give the model a try, it has a nice feel and playability with the nearly 16” scale but it’s not what I’m after. I had the original friction tuners swapped out with Gotoh UPT tuners. Includes black

Condition-Minimal playwear for the age, no dents or dings. There are 3 issues of note-all three shown in the google photos album.:

1. There is a about 1 inch of sunken purfling along the side of the upper bout on the bass side. I had it inspected and my luthier believes it was part of the initial build and an air bubble was in the glue and over time the purfling sunk into the pocket left by the bubble

2. There is a fine finish crack in the nitro finish, top of the sound board on the upper bout of the treble side, maybe 1.5” long - pretty much invisible unless the light is on it right. My luthier confirmed its finish only (naphtha and light in the soundhole) and the underlying wood has not cracked. She said it appears to be stable and was 100% cosmetic.

3. There appears to have been a previous repair, but I can’t confirm that. There is some extra glue around the heel and backboard connection inside the body. My luthier was stumped as to what it was, there is zero evident of any repair on the outside and the area inside doesn’t appear to have had any visible previous damage. She thinks maybe it had a buzz or something and was a home remedy to solve it - but that was only a guess. It has no buzzing issues now-she put it through the wringer and said it was “set up great”. I would agree. It plays really nicely.

The retrofit of the tuners and inspection of the issues noted above was completed by Portland Fretworks in Portland OR

SOLD 10/31/19 Price Reduction: Asking $1150 out the door, shipping/insurance included CONUS. Payment accepted viaPayPal goods and services. Offers welcome.

Google photo album:https://photos.app.goo.gl/1a7SoPM87uDAPZGQ6

PM or email arob54(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Bumping this guy back to the top. Someone asked if the case was a Kamaka case. It is not, it’s a black hardcase that looks to be about the same vintage as the instrument (mid 2000’s)

Price Reduction

Now Asking $1150 OBO. Shipping (CONUS) and PayPal fees included.

i pulled some of the photos from the google album to the thread, see below:

Last edited:
F34-D7-F6-A-761-F-478-A-9-DE0-179-E84704248.jpg

97-C21-FBE-C42-C-404-F-8319-AA003-E7-F2-A26.jpg

BF01-EBAB-A0-DD-4-FB0-8-E6-B-AAE2244-F3193.jpg

E26-EBA2-D-E6-EB-416-B-9146-DD71-C9-A8-D616.jpg

Last edited:
Andy is a good guy. The Ko'Aloha Crown Bridge Tenor I bought from him was exactly as he described. It was well cared for, and in close to new condition. (A few strum marks.)
He was easy to purchase from and did what he said he would. If you're on the fence, I think you will be pleased buying from him.

Please what is the depth of the Ukulele.

Can you post a video or link of the Ukulele being played? Thanks

Some measurements:

-Width of the nut is 1 3/8”
-Depth of the body is 2 13/32” at the top and 2 3/4”at the base. The back is built with a a slight arch.

keenonuke-I emailed you a sound sample - let me know if you didn’t get it.

Some measurements:

-Width of the nut is 1 3/8”
-Depth of the body is 2 13/32” at the top and 2 3/4”at the base. The back is built with a a slight arch.

keenonuke-I emailed you a sound sample - let me know if you didn’t get it.

Thanks but I'm going to need to pass. Right now due to an arm issue I need Slimline instruments :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom