US Sales Tax question

Counter

Reaction score
I'm currently in the US and considering visiting a few music shops near where I'm staying in Arizona to see what they have.

Two questions - presumably sales tax is due on musical instruments and is it something I can claim back the way US visitors to the UK can?

Thank you

Yes, to your first question -- you will have to pay sales tax. In Arizona the basic sales tax rate is 5.6%, but individual cities in Arizona may add their own additional sales tax.

"I don't know" to your second question. Perhaps some international traveler here on the forum will know the answer.

Thank you. I've seen a few Ukes listed on the websites of three of the local shops but that 5.6% makes quite a difference. Prices in the UK always include tax.

Ok what about if I'm in Arizona but I buy a uke from someone in another state? Do I pay their sales tax even though I'm not there?

Ok what about if I'm in Arizona but I buy a uke from someone in another state? Do I pay their sales tax even though I'm not there?

It's complicated. More and more online sales do have sales tax collected but not all. You would have to ask on a case-by-case basis.

Jim is right, it is complicated. Here in the States, we don't have a national sales tax. The individual states determine their sales tax, and what products it applies to. And then individual cities can add on, as mentioned. If you're thinking about purchasing a uke online while you are in Arizona, you would need to ask the online seller whether there will be sales tax.

I wouldn’t try and claim back anything if I were you or they’ll just make you pay 20% vat.

I meant at the US border rather than once I was back. An American tourist can claim back vat on any number of things at a UK airport. It seems the same thing doesn't exist the other way.

I believe that's right, the same thing doesn't exist the other way. That's because our Customs workers work for the national government. The sales tax you pay, goes to an individual state, not the national government. The national government won't refund money that you paid to an individual state. Our bureaucracy doesn't work that way. Some say it doesn't work at all, but that's for another thread, in some other forum.

Check with the state you’ll be in. I remember not having to pay sales tax when visiting Seattle from Calgary, and it looks like that’s still the somewhat case in WA (but no longer exempt at the POS): visitors from listed US states and Canadian provinces that don’t have sales tax can get their sales tax returned by filing with the WA department of revenue. See https://dor.wa.gov/find-taxes-rates/retail-sales-tax/sales-nonresidents

On a quick search I don’t see anything similar for AZ or for UK residents.

It's been almost 20 years since I lived in the Phoenix area. If I recall correctly, if the store ships your purchase to you. And the location is out of state or the country, they didn't charge the tax. But again, that was 20 years ago. Things have changed a lot since then. Ask the store manager or owner if you think about buying an instrument.

OK I went to Best Buy today to browse camera gear and sales tax here is a whisker over 8%. It meant the lens I was looking at would be cheaper in the UK. I will not be buying anything. Years ago when I used to come here the pound was much much stronger against the dollar but, not any more.

OK I went to Best Buy today to browse camera gear and sales tax here is a whisker over 8%. It meant the lens I was looking at would be cheaper in the UK. I will not be buying anything. Years ago when I used to come here the pound was much much stronger against the dollar but, not any more.

Isn't that VAT in UK 20%?
So tax wise you pay less. But off course, if the lens is way more expensive before taxes it doesnt help.
In Denmark VAT is 25%, so 8% is almost like no tax in comparison :)

Basically, yes. Some states don't have sales tax, so those buyers don't have to pay it on out-of-state purchases, of course. Eventually, all states with sales tax will be forcing out-of-state sellers to collect it for them. Some people think it's great because the state is getting more money, but does that really matter to the citizens of those states? I can guarantee that we will not see any improvements in NY because I'm paying sales tax to a company in another state.

I'm currently in the US and considering visiting a few music shops near where I'm staying in Arizona to see what they have.

Two questions - presumably sales tax is due on musical instruments and is it something I can claim back the way US visitors to the UK can?

Thank you

Yes, I remember that from when we were in England. If the U. S. sales tax is significant, look into ways to avoid it. If the amount is insignificant, just pay it.

When I wanted to buy a Fluke, I could have driven to the factory and avoid the shipping charge, but I would have had to pay sales tax for Massachusetts. When they shipped it, I didn't pay NY sales tax, which is another complication. There is a limit that determines whether or not a seller has to collect tax for another state. Someone selling a small number of items annually is exempt.

I vaguely recall being able to get the sales tax back from Washington state if you didn't live there, but that was some time ago. Not sure if it's still the case. It would really depend on the state. As was mentioned, Customs is federal so they're not going to deal with state taxes. In Canada, you can make a claim to get the federal tax back, but not provincial tax (you'd have to deal directly with the province if they had(have?) a rebate program.

If you were able to make a claim directly with the state, it's unlikely that would affect any charges for VAT. If you claim the ukulele with Customs when returning home, whether or not they charge you VAT would be independent of your transactions with the state (although, I suppose it's possible they could rebate you the difference, but I know very little about VAT).

Please check if you have to pay any VAT when arriving in the UK. In many cases there is a limit, f.x 400 euro(in Denmark at the moment) and above that you have to pay customs and VAT, or you must dirty it a bit, to persuaded the officer that it's used and you brought it with you to the states.

Top Bottom