Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ukulele Lab in Honolulu

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    My experience here is the opposite. The online availability is much, much less than what they have in the actual stores to try out and inspect.
    I've had a similar experience. Several I wanted to buy something at HMS but it was out of stock online. I gave them a call and they had what I wanted but it jsut wasn't listed yet, and once they went and dock through their storage area until they found a new ol stock baritone mango uke I was hoping for. I've since sold that uke, but it was the first new one I bought from HMS, anditreally cemented them in my mind as the place to go for new ukes. I've had great experiences with them.
    UAS!!!
    One day I will be worthy of these ukes!
    • Kamaka HB-2D Ohta San, 5.0 P/U
    • Anuenue UC200E Concert Moon Bird-My Favorite!
    • Kanile'a Custom Baritone, gCEA
    • Kala KA-SRT/MA, Michael Aratani Model, 5.0 P/U, gCEA
    • Koaloha KTM-00 Tenor
    • Anuenue UT200E Tenor Moon Bird
    • Firefly Concert Banjolele
    • Kanile'a KPA-C-PREM Concert
    • Anuenue UT140 Tenor Light Bird, AirAir P/U, gCEA
    • Anuenue US200 Soprano Moon Bird
    • 2nd Anuenue UC200E Concert Moon Bird-, lowG, my other Fav!

I went by the Lab again making sure it was during posted business hours. Again it was all locked up and dark. I asked the neighbouring business if they knew why and they said that the owner has gone to Japan. There is no note posted about the closure and the website still seems to be up. It may be an emergency but still poor business practice. I would not order anything there.

We are back on Oahu again. I gave the Uke Lab another try and finally met Isaac. He is quite knowledgeable and has good connection with KoAloha. He has his own stash of tone woods and KoAloha builds nice custom ukes for his shop with his woods and special rosette. Very nice stuff.

On a disappointing note, the second Puapua store has closed at the end of February but had great experience in the original Sheraton location where they have a great selection of ukes at reasonable price. We also went to visit the HMS Kakaako store today to find it closed already though a note at the door said they would be open to end of week. So this makes three Honolulu stores that closed in the last six months and severely limits choices.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    We are back on Oahu again. I gave the Uke Lab another try and finally met Isaac. He is quite knowledgeable and has good connection with KoAloha. He has his own stash of tone woods and KoAloha builds nice custom ukes for his shop with his woods and special rosette. Very nice stuff.

On a disappointing note, the second Puapua store has closed at the end of February but had great experience in the original Sheraton location where they have a great selection of ukes at reasonable price. We also went to visit the HMS Kakaako store today to find it closed already though a note at the door said they would be open to end of week. So this makes three Honolulu stores that closed in the last six months and severely limits choices.
    Is the HMS Kakaako closed permanently? That location will close for late lunch midday and reopen, or at least this was the case when I went in late January. If it did close, that's too bad, but there have been tenant/management issues at the Kakaako complex so not sure if perhaps that might be involved.
    Ohana BK-70 | KoAloha KSO-02 | KoAloha Silver Tenor
    WTB So many...

Quote Originally Posted by kookoolele View Post
    Is the HMS Kakaako closed permanently? That location will close for late lunch midday and reopen, or at least this was the case when I went in late January. If it did close, that's too bad, but there have been tenant/management issues at the Kakaako complex so not sure if perhaps that might be involved.
    Yes I went there again today and Corey was there packing up. Tomorrow Friday will be last day. Whatever is left in the store is getting sold at around 40% off so he does not have to move it to Haleiwa. I am contemplating the mango cream Rebel...

Ahh! I wish I was still there to pick up a couple things I'd been debating.
    You should buy the Rebel...
    WTB So many...

40% off a new Rebel Mango Cream sounds delicious!

They had closed the store in the Fall of last year but reopened it for the holidays due to contractual obligations on their lease. There was something from Andrew (on one of the threads here?) that they were consolidating their operations into a new site in Haleiwa. I am unclear on whether this included their offices and setup/shipping... sounded like it might be so, though. If so, this should work well for their staff and their customers.

Yes they announced closing last November a year after opening. The Haleiwa store works well for locals and visitors with cars. For people who walk or use the bus it takes considerable effort to get there. Best bets for those are Sheraton Puapua and Good Guys Music that both have great selections at reasonable prices and friendly and knowledgeable staff.

I totally missed the Lab during my visit and ended up at the Ukulele Store, also on Lewers.
    WTB So many...

Thread Information