Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ukulele Lab in Honolulu

Quote Originally Posted by fretie View Post
    So, overall, it seems that most locals don’t have much experience of the UkeLab even though there’s some good instruments to be found there. It appears that this is probably due to the ‘Lab’s location it being more of a destination for tourists seeking a good quality Hawaiian ukulele.
    Yes that sums it up. There are many ukulele stores on Oahu, but Waikiki is mainly occupied by tourists and has higher prices. The locals go there to work and sell things, but not to buy. I will visit there again next month and intend to check out the store as I haven't noticed it before.

Report back if you visit Ukulele Lab. Their website prices seem to be in line with other sites & they have some unique ukes. Their custom carved pick guards look cool.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    Report back if you visit Ukulele Lab. Their website prices seem to be in line with other sites & they have some unique ukes. Their custom carved pick guards look cool.
    Thanks Raftergirl, I am not overly likely to make it to the Hawaiian Islands in the near future but would consider an online order from UkeLab if a tempting instrument showed up on their website or FB page.
    Klos Tenor (carbon fibre)
    Mya Moe Tenor (myrtle)
    Kamaka Tenor (koa)
    Lone Tree Tenor (driftwood red cedar, black cherry, western maple)

I am on Oahu now and hope I will have a chance to go to the Lab. While walking around today I came across a store Ukulele Puapua. As many Waikiki stores it has an outstanding selection of ukes at the $800+ range including Kamaka 6 and 8 strings in addition to the regular sizes. However, when I checked out their online store it said that most of what they have in the store is out of stock. So it seems the online availability should always be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    I am on Oahu now and hope I will have a chance to go to the Lab. While walking around today I came across a store Ukulele Puapua. As many Waikiki stores it has an outstanding selection of ukes at the $800+ range including Kamaka 6 and 8 strings in addition to the regular sizes. However, when I checked out their online store it said that most of what they have in the store is out of stock. So it seems the online availability should always be taken with a huge grain of salt.
    There are a few small ukulele stores in the Waikiki tourist resort hotels. Some of these have big selections on their websites, but those are sold out of their warehouses and not out of the store. Popular brands like Kamaka sell out quickly so never make it to their store. You might have better luck if you try the larger stores on the island, like Easy Music or The Ukulele Site. The Kamaka factory has a showroom, but they are often sold out of popular models (still a fun place to visit, especially if you go on their free factory tour).

Quote Originally Posted by man0a View Post
    There are a few small ukulele stores in the Waikiki tourist resort hotels. Some of these have big selections on their websites, but those are sold out of their warehouses and not out of the store. Popular brands like Kamaka sell out quickly so never make it to their store. You might have better luck if you try the larger stores on the island, like Easy Music or The Ukulele Site. The Kamaka factory has a showroom, but they are often sold out of popular models (still a fun place to visit, especially if you go on their free factory tour).
    My experience here is the opposite. The online availability is much, much less than what they have in the actual stores to try out and inspect.

Default Those in the know

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    The locals try to avoid Waikiki most of the time: difficult to park, crowded and special prices (i.e., high prices) for international travelers with fat wallets.
    30,000 people live as residents in Waikiki. Yes, prices are high for those who donít look very hard. Those in the know know where good deals in Waikiki can be found, as inexpensive as any in Honolulu, even comparable to restaurants in Waianae.

I love the Ukulele Site and that is where I have done business since the Music Guy Mike days but there is a nice ukulele shop upstairs on Lewers in Waikiki with only slightly higher prices. It has a nice selection and definitely has the greatest collections of books I’ve ever seen. It probably won’t last long though. Pua Pua seems to get most of the Japanese business. I don’t think Japanese are necessarily looking for the cheapest price.

Quote Originally Posted by man0a View Post
    The Kamaka factory has a showroom, but they are often sold out of popular models (still a fun place to visit, especially if you go on their free factory tour).
    Unless things have changed recently, the Kamaka factory will not sell you a uke on the spot - you have to place an order and about a month later you'll get it. Last time I was there I was in the market for an HP-1 pineapple, and they had a gorgeous one that they let me play for far too long, but no amount of pleading would convince the uncles and aunties to let me buy it! The story had a happy ending though - back home on the mainland a few months later, my dream HP-1 came in stock at my local shop and oddly enough, it had a build date that coincided with my visit to the factory. Talk about meant to be.

That being said - it's absolutely worth a visit for the factory tour - highly, highly recommended.

As for Honolulu uke shopping - I've seen interesting instruments and good prices at Good Guys on Kapahulu.

The Good Guys are good guys. No doubt about it and Dan’s Guitars on McCully near the freeway is also a good place.

Thread Information