Season 399 - Bella Italia

kolibri

out of tune
UU VIP
Reaction score
Welcome to Season 399!

This Season's theme is Bella Italia - songs about Italy, songs by the Italian musicians or songs in Italian.

There has been already an Italian Season (#42, hosted by We Tigers in December 2012), but many of us were not around then and Italy deserves to be celebrated again. (Please note, Season 399 doesn't have the crime theme like Season 42 did.)

For Season 399, you can play songs about Italian cities, islands, food, famous Italians... Or any songs, performed or written by Italians or musicians of Italian decent. That's not only Frank Sinatra, but for example Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, Lady Gaga, Yves Montand and Jon Bon Jovi also qualify. Or you can sing any song in Italian. (I don't speak or understand Italian, so anything goes. :))

Original songs, instrumentals and collaborations are all welcome.

Special announcement: During Season 399, all Buck Owens' songs are considered "Italian", so please bring us "Buck Owens Greatest Hits", JackLuis and Gary.

Song limit: One song per day or 8 songs in a week per Seasonista.

- Season starts Sunday, October 6th at 00:01 Hawaii time, and ends Sunday, October 13th at 12 PM Hawaii time.
- Please mention in the video that it's for Season 399.
- Multi tracking and other instruments are fine, but ukulele should be in the mix somewhere.

Prize: An Italian ukulele - Allegro sopranino by Antica Ukuleleria (Marco Todeschini).

I'll put my comments on your YouTube videos and don't duplicate them here. As always, watching and commenting other Seasonistas' videos is much appreciated.

And please remember that RAB11's terrific "Oh La La" Season is still ongoing. ("La la" is definitely in Italian, so if you run out of time posting a la la song for Season 398, you can submit it to the Italian Season. :))

Happy strumming! Ciao!

Playlist

Grande idea, Ylle! (Which may - or may not - be Italian.)

oh my DAYS! what a generous prize! and how lovely of you to include buck owens this week for jackluis and gary! we're only on page 1 of the thread and already the hosting is mind-boggingly fantastic!!!!!!!

:bowdown:

What a great theme and generous prize, Ylle!

Bad News, our Video thingy didn't work today:eek:ld::( . I tried my new tablet and ..:eek:ld:..out of battery. Gary's got band practice tomorrow and we need full sunlight. It was a good thing because I scewed up Soooo bad today. I'm too used to watching my hand and at 180 bpm, well that's a lot going on.

But once we have the camera/ mike/ battery figured out, I bring on the show. such as it will be.:smileybounce:

Thank you for the dispensation. We may be old but we're happy.

Last edited:
Excellent theme Ylle.
Here's one that qualifies on two counts.It's about Rome and a Frank Sinatra song.Written by the primo songwriting team of Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn.

What a magnificent prize I had to find out more about it.
Apparently the neck and body is mad out of one piece of wood
Here is a video of the makers talking about it.

Is an ukulele arrangement of a classical guitar piece by an Italian composer OK?

Hi everyone! When I checked in and read that Buck Owens was Italian, I knew I had to get one in this week. Did it in one take. Not one of Owens' greatest hits, went to #22 in 1979. but one I've been wanting to try.

Next time I buy a uke it is likely to be an Antica. Big fan of their work so this is a very generous prize Ylle.

Here's one from an Italian-Scottish singer-songwriter. No not that one.

Louis Prima and Dean Martin had a hit with this one

Roseanne Cash is Italian through her mother, Vivian Liberto.

And for Ylle's convenience, the lyrics:

Blue moon out my window, guess this means goodnight
And you come in and start right in not treating me right
Misery's a ball and all its company
I'll play the victim for you honey, but not for free

I run into that heartache just like a wall
And act like nothing happened to me, nothing at all
Lately I'm amazed at how blind we can be
Lately even dreaming feels like old reality

What would I give to be a diamond in your eyes again
What would I give to bring back those old times
What did I say to make your cold heart bleed this way