Season 399 - Bella Italia

The Italian prog rock band Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) is one of my all-time favorite bands. This is the title song from an album they did based on the story of Ulysses (Homer, not James Joyce). One of the fun parts of doing a video of a PFM song is when an Italian viewer comments on how bad my pronunciation of Italian is. Mea culpa, mio amico.

"Cambiera" means "It will change". I think.

Yay! PFM!

An Italian student lived with my family when I was a senior in high school. He was a huge prog rock fan (Yes and Genesis were his favorite bands), and he brought a PFM album, "Per un amico," with him. I thought it was terrific.

Several years later, I found the English-language version of the album, "Photos of Ghosts," with lyrics by Pete Sinfield of ELP and King Crimson. The lyrics were pretty pedestrian. And even though I didn't understand the Italian lyrics, they fit better than Sinfield's.

I'm sure I could find the Italian tracks somewhere now. Thanks for bringing back some fond memories.

Thanks Ylle, for the opportunity to get back into the SOTU. I'm really upset that I couldn't do my Dean Martin "Things We Used TO Do" as I had lots of prob's getting a recording. However I'm diligently working on getting a better way to post with my computer problems.

The fun thing about SOTU is the hours of practice I have to put in to get a song acceptable. The Big Zebra is fun to play and of course I fit the Skinny Tenor in as well as they sound a lot alike. Even if I don't get a song up for the Season, it's fun to play and imagine that I can.

A big shout out to BEVMU for her cat thing, very neat! AlanD, great Dino. Many great songs and performances this week.

Great week and perfect hosting Ylle - thanks so much - and what a prize! Congrats to Alan - fully deserved! Apologies for my limited participation- my ongoing internet issues apparently won’t be resolved for at least a couple of weeks - oh joy! :(

Thank you all for your kind comments! This week reminded me again, how much fun hosting can be.

Top Bottom