Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sparrow Ukuleles from Virginia

Default Sparrow Ukuleles from Virginia

At Funky Frets this weekend and I got a chance to see and play some Sparrow Ukuleles. These are handmade electric ukes that not only look beautiful but sound amazing. The ukes are beautifully shaped, the curve on the back of the tenor fit perfectly into my side. These ukuleles are for those players who love an all steel string feel and sound. The pickup is engineered by Sparrow Ukulele owner, John G., a super nice guy with a passion for his creations. There was some technical speak, so ask him all the questions you would want to know about the engineering.

Unfortunately, while several festival goers were rocking out with the wares, I did not think to take a photo or video one of the impromptu performances. We were having too much fun. I think the quality and sound rivals other solid body electric ukuleles I have heard. Here’s the link: https://www.sparrowukulele.com

Quote Originally Posted by Martinlover View Post
    At Funky Frets this weekend and I got a chance to see and play some Sparrow Ukuleles. These are handmade electric ukes that not only look beautiful but sound amazing. The ukes are beautifully shaped, the curve on the back of the tenor fit perfectly into my side. These ukuleles are for those players who love an all steel string feel and sound. The pickup is engineered by Sparrow Ukulele owner, John G., a super nice guy with a passion for his creations. There was some technical speak, so ask him all the questions you would want to know about the engineering.

Unfortunately, while several festival goers were rocking out with the wares, I did not think to take a photo or video one of the impromptu performances. We were having too much fun. I think the quality and sound rivals other solid body electric ukuleles I have heard. Here’s the link: https://www.sparrowukulele.com
    Thanks for sharing this. I went to his website and the ukuleles sound and look amazing.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)

I also stopped by the Sparrow table at the Funky Frets Fest. I'm not an electric uke player, but if I was, these Sparrows would be very high on my list. Not only do they sound great, but the design and appearance is spectacular. The builder really knows how to bring out the natural beauty of the woods, without resorting to gimmicks and glitter.
    Larry

• ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR"
    • COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR (LOW "G")
    • HARMONY MAHOGANY BARITONE (1950's)
    • VTAB TS2401 SPRUCE/MAHOGANY CONCERT

Forgot to mention that if you want to slide, these ukes are great for that. And People were playing jazzy tunes and rock in’ out.

Also these are solid bodies, not hollow, so they carry some weight. I thought the price point was very reasonable considering these are handmade.

I'm not an electric uker either, but these look cool.
    Looks like the same guy who runs Fan Guitar/Fan Ukulele. I've exchanged some e-mails with him in the past and he seems like a cool guy.

Not to be confused with Fanner Guitar Works ukes.

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

Thanks for link, nice to see these ukes being made. If I was into a steel string electric these would be on my list.

Yes, it IS John Gonzalez del Solar from Fan Guitar and Ukulele in Richmond. We had them in our HopNUke Fest this summer. Stu Kindle played his set on one - he demos for them.

Quote Originally Posted by aremick View Post
    Yes, it IS John Gonzalez del Solar from Fan Guitar and Ukulele in Richmond. We had them in our HopNUke Fest this summer. Stu Kindle played his set on one - he demos for them.
    Yes, correct.

Thread Information