Greetings from cloudy Fairfax, VA!

CarolAnnG

Reaction score
I'm a mom of 6, a writer and a former teacher of Russian, living in the DC area and strumming a concert Fluke at every opportunity.

I've been lurking, reading lots of great posts and learning. My musical background includes some guitar as a child (I slowed down considerably when my instructor started classical--I couldn't read music yet), then alto sax (with a little flute for jazz band) for years, and then choir in college. I was away from music for many years. My youngest daughter said she wanted a uke; I bought it for her, strummed it and that was that.

My next dream purchase is a Kiwaya laminate--I'd love solid wood, but with all these kids and a Corgi, I can't care for anything else without going bonkers. I'd be checking humidity all the time.

Thanks for being so generous with your wisdom! What a lovely, friendly community.

Carol Ann

A big, warm welcome to you, Carol Anne. I know just what you mean about being hooked from the first strum. I dabbled with various instruments, without really getting anywhere, then one day I found myself with a ukulele in my hands. That was about twenty-four years ago.

John Colter

Thanks, Penny and John. I just wish I'd been smart with those pre-Fluke uke purchases. "Well, look at the great ratings on Amazon! That must be a good instrument!" The pack rat in me won't let me just toss them.

Hi Carol Ann! I'm still gathering the nerve to introduce myself, so I congratulate you!
This is my first post, in fact. I hope you get your Kiwaya laminate. I wanted one for many months and just got mine 2 weeks ago and am having fun with it, the KS-5.

Welcome to the UU, Carol Anne. And congratulations on creating time in your busy schedule for the continuation of your musical journey!

It's been a rough year for our family--daughter with a brain tumor, which took 2 delicate surgeries to remove was the worst of it, by far--and my nerves are shot. Playing music again has been a great joy and solace. Daughter's recuperating, as we all are in our ways. God is good to give us music.

Welcome Carol. Yes, music has healing powers. A few members of my group visit UCLA/Mattel Children's Hospital every few weeks roaming from room to room playing ukulele for the kids and also gifting them ukuleles by way of The Ukulele Kids Club. It sure brightens their day, and ours. Also, I survived cancer twice, so I know where you're coming from. BTW, I went to Fairfax High in Los Angeles.

I've always thought of FFX, CA as our west coast cousin. I'm sure you're hipper out there! I'd like to play at the nursing home someday if they'll have me. Haven't discovered a uke-playing peer group that isn't quite drive away.

Oh, my goodness, Kohanmike! I forgot to congratulate you on your recoveries! That was my initial intent! Please forgive my oversight.

No problem Carol. I did a little research to see if my high school was named after Lord Thomas Fairfax, but couldn't find anything. The school is on Fairfax Avenue, so it might be as simple as that, but our school song starts with "Hail to thee Lord Fairfax..."

Top Bottom