Favilla 4-string Ukulele Identification

tonyc

Reaction score
My wife's father passed years ago and he had a 4-string Favilla Ukulele. It is probably from the 40s. I am trying to find out if this was a toy or if it is worth saving. It is in rough shape but still is in one piece and still plays. I've uploaded some pictures. Can someone tell me about this Ukulele?
Best regards,
Tony

Attachments

• Ukulele1.jpg
    Ukulele1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Ukulele2.jpg
    Ukulele2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Ukulele3.jpg
    Ukulele3.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Ukulele4.jpg
    Ukulele4.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Ukulele5.jpg
    Ukulele5.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 41
I think it's earlier than the '40's. It is far from being a toy. Favillas are up there with Martin. Many pros back then preferred Favillas over Martin. A little clean up and new strings would do wonders for it. I suggest contacting Tom Favilla. He's the authority on his family's instruments.,http://www.catfish1952.com/favilla.html

I owned Martin and Favilla baritones at the sametime. I sold the Martin because I liked the Favilla over the Martin.

Definitely worth saving.
Those cracks in the top can be repaired.
I've got an old repaired Favilla and its a gem.

As for worth look for similar condition Favillas on Ebay to get an idea.
Or put it on the used instrument thread here and ask for best offer?

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. I sent an email to Tom with pictures and I am waiting for his reply. I also posted it for sale on the used instrument thread.

Aloha tonyc,

Nice Favilla! As others mentioned, some cleaning and maintenance goes quite a ways. Favilla ukulele are fine musical instruments and comparable to CF Martin quality if not better...my circa 1950s Favilla Baritone set up tenor low G is easily one of my favorites. Tom Favilla is the principal authority for sure today. Good luck to you and the Favilla ukulele!

Mahalo,

Uku-guy

I communicated with Tom already and he has identified the Uke as a late 30's early 40's version. You can see more detail on the Used Instrument for Sale Forum. My thread is "Favilla 4-string Ukulele for sale".

Top Bottom