Glueing braces

ktuurna

Reaction score
I have use Titebond before, but I have heard that some builders use epoxy. I wonder why? Is it better for glueing braces?

Epoxy is used for laminating carbon fibre tow to braces, but I have never come across anyone using epoxy to glue braces directly to soundboards or backs (or at least anyone who admits to doing it).

I have use Titebond before, but I have heard that some builders use epoxy. I wonder why? Is it better for glueing braces?

As Graham said. Not one pro builder that I'm aware of would use epoxy to glue braces unless it's in combination with carbon fibre. Titebond original (Red Cap) is perfectly acceptable and probably the most used glue from braces.

Or Hot Hide Glue as I and many other builders have used for hundreds of years.

Yes to the Titebond :shaka: and nope to the epoxy. Epoxy might have its uses in building, but personally I have never used it... I know a pro builder that swears that fish glue gives the best acoustic sound. Not sure on that one. To each his own, but epoxy: ixnay.

I must admit I've often wanted to try CA glue to glue braces but I have good results with hide glue and am too chicken to screw up a good instrument for experimentation. Maybe on one I'm building for myself, which I'm about to start. I don't know about y'all but every time I build one for myself somebody wants to buy it and I say "Well of Course". LOL

Stupid question time: is there a reason other than that it's not necessary and a pain to work with not to use epoxy?

Not that those aren't pretty good reasons on their own, but why is it something only done in the dark with the shades down and a paper bag over your head?

Though I don't know for certain I suspect that epoxy might be too flexible for braces which would cause more damping than other glues. It also has a tendency to penetrate wood and could affect a top's acoustic properties negatively. Most builders I know like to have a thin crystaline-like glue line that doesn't inhibit sound transmission. Hot hide glue is probably the best for this but Titebond Extend dries harder and resists creep better than the other Titebonds.

I use a CF bridge plate so I have to use epoxy to glue my 3 fan braces over the bridge plate as titebond and HHG don't stick to the CF.
Id use titebond or HHG if i didn't use the CF bridge plate.

Well, I'm not a pro builder, but i sometimes use a 5 min epoxy for braces, also PU sometimes. Tends not to be on my ukes, but on some guitars. There used to be/is an approach to building that believes that introducing a water based glue to one side of a very thin plate is bad form, as it creates an unwanted stress as it dries. Stress free building. I'm not arguing one way or the other, but it works for me, and i use it on classicals mainly where i build with very thin Sitka tops that are 1.5 to 1.8mm thick. People say it makes repair more difficult, which is true, but also makes it less likely to be needed. There is no best way, whatever works for you.

Top Bottom