Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glueing braces

Default Glueing braces

I have use Titebond before, but I have heard that some builders use epoxy. I wonder why? Is it better for glueing braces?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
    -Mario Andretti

Epoxy is used for laminating carbon fibre tow to braces, but I have never come across anyone using epoxy to glue braces directly to soundboards or backs (or at least anyone who admits to doing it).

Quote Originally Posted by ktuurna View Post
    I have use Titebond before, but I have heard that some builders use epoxy. I wonder why? Is it better for glueing braces?

As Graham said. Not one pro builder that I'm aware of would use epoxy to glue braces unless it's in combination with carbon fibre. Titebond original (Red Cap) is perfectly acceptable and probably the most used glue from braces.

Or Hot Hide Glue as I and many other builders have used for hundreds of years.

Yes to the Titebond and nope to the epoxy. Epoxy might have its uses in building, but personally I have never used it... I know a pro builder that swears that fish glue gives the best acoustic sound. Not sure on that one. To each his own, but epoxy: ixnay.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Or Hot Hide Glue as I and many other builders have used for hundreds of years.
    You look much younger in your videos, Allen.

I must admit I've often wanted to try CA glue to glue braces but I have good results with hide glue and am too chicken to screw up a good instrument for experimentation. Maybe on one I'm building for myself, which I'm about to start. I don't know about y'all but every time I build one for myself somebody wants to buy it and I say "Well of Course". LOL
    My Real name is Terry Harris

Quote Originally Posted by bazuku View Post
    You look much younger in your videos, Allen.
    Good one bazuku... As a matter of fact, Queenslanders are known for their clean living ways and long life. Especially around Cairns.

Stupid question time: is there a reason other than that it's not necessary and a pain to work with not to use epoxy?

Not that those aren't pretty good reasons on their own, but why is it something only done in the dark with the shades down and a paper bag over your head?

Queenslanders are known for their clean living ways
    Things must have changed dramatically since I lived there in the 70s
    Miguel

Though I don't know for certain I suspect that epoxy might be too flexible for braces which would cause more damping than other glues. It also has a tendency to penetrate wood and could affect a top's acoustic properties negatively. Most builders I know like to have a thin crystaline-like glue line that doesn't inhibit sound transmission. Hot hide glue is probably the best for this but Titebond Extend dries harder and resists creep better than the other Titebonds.

Thread Information