Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: NUD Flamed Mango Guitalele by Pelem Ukulele

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Pickering, ON, Canada
    Posts
    5,910

    Default

    Congratulations Jim on a fine looking and unique instrument. I found the fingerpicking tone very pleasant, it was warm, mellow and sweet, particularly for A-A tuning.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 10-08-2019 at 12:21 AM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic region, USA
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Out of curiosity, Jim, what did you use for recording?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    JoCo, NC (near Raleigh)
    Posts
    4,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Congratulations Jim on a fine looking and unique instrument Jim. I found the fingerpicking tone very pleasant, it was warm, mellow and sweet, particularly for A-A tuning.
    I agree with the stock strings the strumming sounded a little muddy. I just put on a set of D'Addario EJ45LP tonight so we'll see how those sound in a couple days.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdsqueaky View Post
    Out of curiosity, Jim, what did you use for recording?
    Zoom Q8 video camera with the built stereo mic capsule. Then I edited the audio in Cubasis on the iPad. But minimal processing - the plugin chain was:
    Brusfri(room noise reduction) -> Waves Audio Track (just for high pass filter) -> FabFilter L-2 (limiter - to bring level up but no compression except tickling the limiter in loudest spots). (Of course YouTube adds it's own compression but can't get around that.)
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, A, EJ45LP

    !Flukutronic!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,485

    Default

    I'm interested to hear what strings you recommend for guitalele in general. I currently have Pepe Romero/La Bella strings on mine and they are fine except that they wound strings are ultra-squeaky (although with a bit of time and playing they seem to be settling down a bit).

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    JoCo, NC (near Raleigh)
    Posts
    4,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robinboyd View Post
    I'm interested to hear what strings you recommend for guitalele in general. I currently have Pepe Romero/La Bella strings on mine and they are fine except that they wound strings are ultra-squeaky (although with a bit of time and playing they seem to be settling down a bit).
    On the baritone scale, I really like the T-I CF127 set in Terz (G to G). They should be good for A to A tuning on tenor scale but I haven't tried them there. I also had a "reentrant Terz" tuning on the tenor Kala that I gave to my daughter. It's nice because you can do it with no wound strings with readily available strings. I think I did reentrant Terz on baritone too but it had at least a couple Southcoast strings no longer available.

    I'm glad you mentioned the Romero set as I had thought about that for this one. I was wondering about the squeakiness. That's too bad. Fresh on, the EJ45LP have more squeak than I'd like, but maybe they'll settle down.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, A, EJ45LP

    !Flukutronic!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Gloucester, UK
    Posts
    582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    On the baritone scale, I really like the T-I CF127 set in Terz (G to G). They should be good for A to A tuning on tenor scale but I haven't tried them there. I also had a "reentrant Terz" tuning on the tenor Kala that I gave to my daughter. It's nice because you can do it with no wound strings with readily available strings. I think I did reentrant Terz on baritone too but it had at least a couple Southcoast strings no longer available.

    I'm glad you mentioned the Romero set as I had thought about that for this one. I was wondering about the squeakiness. That's too bad. Fresh on, the EJ45LP have more squeak than I'd like, but maybe they'll settle down.
    I'm using the CF127 set at A - A on a 17" guitalele. Can recommend!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    West Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,429

    Default

    Congratulations, Jim. Your Mango Guitalele sounded really sweet. I am looking forward to hearing more of your creations played on this special instrument.
    A day without playing uke is a day not well lived.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/lapyang

    Joseph

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    JoCo, NC (near Raleigh)
    Posts
    4,690

    Default

    Second look is up:
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, A, EJ45LP

    !Flukutronic!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    This should be my last NUD for awhile - unless ....
    Man in denial, right there.

    Just kidding, great instrument. Been curious about this company myself.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Great sounding instrument, and great playing to match. Congratulations!
    As a general thing, I've noticed a real increase in popularity of 6 strings.
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~



    Location: UK

    Concert - Kanile'a KSC-C
    Tenor - Anuenue UT200 Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote Kamaka 100th anniversary Kanile'a KSR-T LFDM ukaferri
    Baritone - Kala SMHB


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •