Ymmv

ukebebop

Reaction score
Seeing as there is a day for everything under the sun, I wish to denote November 31st as AFD. That's Acronym Free Day. I've long wondered what you all mean when you write YMMV, & today I did a search for "acronym YMMV", now I get it! Please pardon an old fellow who's trying hard to keep up, (& mark November 31st in your calendar)

Last edited:
I sympathise with you, FWIW

John Colter

Seeing as there is a day for everything under the sun, I wish to denote November 31st as AFD. That's Acronym Free Day. I've long wondered what you all mean when you write YMMV, & today I did a search for "acronym YMMV", now I get it! Please pardon an old fellow who's trying hard to keep up, (& mark November 31st in your calendar)

"YMMV stands for: Your Mileage May Vary."

To be a true acronym, it has to be capable of being pronounced - like: radar, NASA, scuba. YMMV is not an acronym, nor is FWIW.

To which you might respond, "DILLIGAF?"

John Colter

When I went to mark November 31st on my calendar, I found out my calendar is defective and now I have to return it to the store. :confused:

Hey, hey, there might be children present. :eek: :rulez:
:rotfl:
Good! They can help explain these abbreviations! ;)

DILLIGAF stands for Do I Look Like An Underwater Breathing Apparatus, right?

My wife works for the Federal Government. I have been to a few gatherings with her coworkers and the acronyms fly all evening. When they include these obtuse references, I let them know, "I do not speak acronym."

That usually forces them to explain their shorthand terminology. They quickly revert though...

TL;DR :p

PS (Post Script), "Initialism" is the term when you spell it out instead of reading it as a word. I.e (Id est), if you read the above as "Tee el; Dee Arr" instead of "Tul; Der". :rulez:

Oh, to save you a google, Too Long; Didn't Read

Just reading all the replies is irritating and frustrating. Now I know what it is like to be an immigrant in a strange land where I do not understand the language :confused:

Last edited:
I support AFD, because I hate TLA's and people who use them! ;)

We should come up with a few UU specific acronyms. Here are some suggestions.
DIBAGS...for Darn I Broke Another G String.
DYFOI...Don't You Fret Over It.

Last edited:
There is, of course, the famous acronym WAYFS - What Are Your Favourite Strings?

John Colter

LOL

We mustn't confuse acronyms that were invented years a go before digital and were meant to be spoken with texting shortcuts that are non-verbal.

lolrotf

Top Bottom