The first thing you do when you get back from the Moon

RPA_Ukuleles

Reaction score
Check out this image sent to me by the photo archivist here at Langley Research Center. It shows Neil Armstrong playing ukulele in the quarantine quarters aboard the USS Hornet after the Apollo 11 splashdown. :)

Moon uke.jpg

Check out this image sent to me by the photo archivist here at Langley Research Center. It shows Neil Armstrong playing ukulele in the quarantine quarters aboard the USS Hornet after the Apollo 11 splashdown. :)

View attachment 121915

Wow. That’s pretty neat. Thanks for sharing

Awesome picture and video. Thanks for sharing!

I have seen that before.......but I think the first thing I would do is just breath in the fresh salt air.....or now the desert air...........then pull out the ukulele and play many happy return songs.....:cool:

Yes, that's been around for a while. Great promotional moment for the uke.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Yeah, breathing in fresh air would have been good. But they were immediately quarantined in a modified Airstream trailer for three weeks. Just in case they brought back an unknown virulent virus or bacterium. With filtered and treated recirculated air. They had a LOT of time to kill.

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone on the International Space Station has been known to play the uke.

If so, I've not seen any mention of it in the news reports over the years.

Given the restrictions on minimal personal items, maybe a uke is small enough to qualify?

I wonder if anyone on the International Space Station has been known to play the uke.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasa2explore/8319493888/

The thing I've been trying to find out for years is: what song(s) did Neil Armstrong play in quarantine? Or was he just noodling?

And the other obvious question, since we ukulele players need to plan ahead for the space tourism industry: what will be the first song you play in space?

...what will be the first song you play in space?

That's easy, my group already plays it; "Fly Me to the Moon" by Frank Sinatra and Count Basie.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Top Bottom