UAS recovery thread

It's been two days since I last purchased a uke, but I have another one currently being built, so I am not sure how to count that one...

I really am trying to slow down, and have a few that I am going to try to move to new homes. As my collection has grown and my playing preferences have changed, there are some that just don't get the attention they deserve.

I haven't had a ukulele come to the house since September 4th. Although I could count the 45 days I have one that was ordered quite some time ago and will be arriving in a few weeks. So for now it's 45 days. (I'm justifying the expense of the future one because it's an experiment of double Reentrant with a Lower Octave Reentrant and standard Reentrant. And won't cost a small fortune.)

Wait I got a used mandolin September 13th which is currently being repaired. So 39 days at the moment?

I also have not stopped perusing reverb, the marketplace, etc for ukuleles and mandolins. But do know I can't afford anymore for the moment and am therefore not ordering any instruments. :-(

It has been 36 days since I last purchased a uke and 18 days since a previously-purchased uke arrived.

I once went six months without acquiring a new one. I am at peace with my current selections. Okay, to be honest I have to add “for now”.

Sigh...it has now been one minute since my last purchase. :)

I am still fond of my current selection, but sometimes you see one and it just screams out.

Maybe a ukulele doll, you can kill the pangs by sticking a pin in it?
Or a UAS jar, every time you talk of buying another uke you put $1 into the jar. When the jar gets full, you buy a nice present for your partner.

Buy him or her a uke?

It had been about 6 months since my last ukulele purchase, and I was doing just fine. My UAS was in remission. I had even recently re-homed a ukulele to a man just beginning his ukulele journey. Nothing to worry about, right? Then I went to harp jamming session at a local harp maker's house ... and came home with a new ukulele. Sheesh! The luthier had just finished making 3 new concert scale ukes: one from a truly gorgeous piece of koa, a pretty one made of madrone, and the one I bought (which really sings up the neck, so I just couldn't resist it), made of yew. I can now say that I am the proud owner of a Yew-kulele. Way cool! :)

It had been about 6 months since my last ukulele purchase, and I was doing just fine. My UAS was in remission. I had even recently re-homed a ukulele to a man just beginning his ukulele journey. Nothing to worry about, right? Then I went to harp jamming session at a local harp maker's house ... and came home with a new ukulele. Sheesh! The luthier had just finished making 3 new concert scale ukes: one from a truly gorgeous piece of koa, a pretty one made of madrone, and the one I bought (which really sings up the neck, so I just couldn't resist it), made of yew. I can now say that I am the proud owner of a Yew-kulele. Way cool! :)

ha ha, it sounds like yew did very well....can't blame you for succumbing.
Well, this time...
maybe you'll do a NUD post with pics?

My UAS recovery is 15 minutes. Well I just justified my purchase of a few minutes ago on health grounds. HMS has Slimline Koaloha Tenors online. They sound great and have a Baggs pickup. I placed one in my cart but had trouble placing the order, so I thought maybe I'm not meant to purchase it.

I just called HMS and placed the order by phone. I justified it as my right arm will hurt and will sometimes have issues after playing. So it sounds good to me. :) Right!

Yew betcha :)

My UAS recovery is 15 minutes. Well I just justified my purchase of a few minutes ago on health grounds. HMS has Slimline Koaloha Tenors online. They sound great and have a Baggs pickup. I placed one in my cart but had trouble placing the order, so I thought maybe I'm not meant to purchase it.

I just called HMS and placed the order by phone. I justified it as my right arm will hurt and will sometimes have issues after playing. So it sounds good to me. :) Right!
What is the cost you would put on having access to best meals across various cuisines every day and at the end being able to pass that on as a sale or gift it or inheritance... owning multiple ukes makes a lot of sense once you think of a uke as an item from a cuisine that only gets better with age and does not end.. your ears are sensory organs just like your tongue.
In this case your hand benefits as well!

Your brain benefits as well.
And, music is good for mental health, too.

What is the cost you would put on having access to best meals across various cuisines every day and at the end being able to pass that on as a sale or gift it or inheritance... owning multiple ukes makes a lot of sense once you think of a uke as an item from a cuisine that only gets better with age and does not end.. your ears are sensory organs just like your tongue.
In this case your hand benefits as well!

But you can get that with one uke and different styles of music

But you can get that with one uke and different styles of music

Well maybe, maybe not. What I love about ukes and part of what feeds UAS is the different sizes, different body shapes and different woods makes for different pitches and timbre in the music. And I'm now exploring different strings and tunings. It's like a smorgasbord :). So yeah it is like different cuisines that my children will have to quote a TV show "a strange inheritance" to sell.

ha ha, it sounds like yew did very well....can't blame you for succumbing.
Well, this time...
maybe you'll do a NUD post with pics?

Many people on the UU have said that if there are no pictures, then it didn't happen. So, I can't do a NUD with pics because that would interfere with my healthy case of UASD (Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome Denial). :)

Does buying uke related gear count as a relapse of UAS? If so, then I some backsliding to confess. I bought a Roland AC33 amp this morning.

Does buying uke related gear count as a relapse of UAS? If so, then I some backsliding to confess. I bought a Roland AC33 amp this morning.

Nope. Not at all. How are you liking the Roland? I just got a Yamaha THR5A 2 days ago. I really like the chorus, delay and reverb, but I can see that the effects are quite limited. I was hoping for more range.

Top Bottom