UAS recovery thread

Thought about getting a tenor today. Probably won't materialize.

I refuse to participate in this thread on the grounds that it implies I have a problem. I don't have a problem. I can quit any time I want.
:rolleyes:

I don't know if I have UAS or not, as I have been quite moderate in my purchases. But I have always enjoyed reading about other's purchases. Now that it is being treated here as a disease akin to substance abuse I feel a bit ashamed that I have gotten so much pleasure out of what is evidently an affliction. Dang, half the fun of UU was seeing what other people are buying and selling. It is ruined for me now. I wish you all the best in your recovery. Just remember, one day at a time. ;)

I don't know if I have UAS or not, as I have been quite moderate in my purchases. But I have always enjoyed reading about other's purchases. Now that it is being treated here as a disease akin to substance abuse I feel a bit ashamed that I have gotten so much pleasure out of what is evidently an affliction. Dang, half the fun of UU was seeing what other people are buying and selling. It is ruined for me now. I wish you all the best in your recovery. Just remember, one day at a time. ;)
this is more humor than a real admission of disease.. chill! Take pleasure!!

I sold an uke yesterday and one last week. I have my eye on an electric solid body soprano or concert, but have resisted the urge so far..... If I sell the one remaining I have posted on the marketplace I don't think I will be able to resisting buying the electric.

But I have always enjoyed reading about other's purchases.

I love reading about other's purchases. I think your post was tongue-in-cheek, but I hope that people don't stop sharing.
As long as you can afford it, buy them and enjoy them, if you want. :)

I feel a bit ashamed that I have gotten so much pleasure out of what is evidently an affliction. Dang, half the fun of UU was seeing what other people are buying and selling. It is ruined for me now.

That post made me guffaw, Rllink. I'm now imagining criminal 'ukulele deals as part of the UU mythos:

"Are you interested in a 'ukulele Portuguese machete? I've got one for sale." You look up from latching your case to see your uke group leader holding a Lanikai with an adjustable saddle. You've never owned an 'ukulele like this before, and you're tempted. You can hear your spouse in the other room, regaling the other spouses with a story about your kitten's recent trip to the vet.

"More 'ukuelele paraphernalia yard tools would be nice," you think as you bend forward to pull out the matted wad of bills you keep under the sole of your shoe. You steel your nerves for what's sure to be a fraught negotiation, but then you recall that this exact scenario was covered in your last 'Ukulelists Unnamed meeting ("What to do when your uke group leader offers you an 'ukulele"). "I really can't. I'm going sober, trying to break my UAS undergrowth abolishment syndrome."

The ease with which you speak these words reassures you, but your leader appears crestfallen. "But it's just one more adze," he chimes. The club leader shifts the 'ukulele slightly, and you can now see the depth of the soundboard's wood grain. Your pulse quickens. The leader intones their next words carefully, giving each its full measure. "Just think how nice it'd be to strum chop down those strings spiderwebs your SO hates so much."

The words worm their way into your psyche. It's been 7 months since you last showed up to the uke circle with a new find, and as your hands begin to shake, you can almost feel the strings under your fingertips. In the other room, your spouse is just getting to the part in the story where the veterinarian gives the kitten its first squirt of cheese whiz. Steel yourself, you think as you recall the training ("Step 1: Redirect the conversation").

You try to change the topic. "Hey, are you sure we should be using the names of large bladed objects as code for musical instruments? Isn't that a violation of UU's marketplace guidelines?"

"Those guidelines only apply to the marketplace; besides, their moderator just quit." Suddenly, an apparition of Buddhuu holding a lightning bolt coalesces near the ceiling. The leader's Lanikai 'ukulele bursts into flames as your wad of bills decomposes into a fist of 'ukulele string clippings, and you both feel the following words crash into your brain: "Thou shalt not discuss the sale of martial arts weapons. Heed my words, thou foul and pitiful victims of the UAS plague!"

As the spirit of Buddhuu disapparates, you both collapse in bereavement for the charred 'ukulele. Your spouse, responding to the sudden noise, appears in the doorway, and you sob as you apologize for succumbing to the temptation of yet one more 'ukulele. Your uke group leader, for their part, is already browsing the UU marketplace looking for their next addition.

Last edited:
I almost posted "how?" ""how to let go?"
Then I saw who posted this, haha.

I sold an uke yesterday and one last week.

So basically to manage UAS requires a different subtype UAS... :wallbash: :D :love: :D , LOL

I have my eye on an electric solid body soprano or concert, but have resisted the urge so far..... If I sell the one remaining I have posted on the marketplace I don't think I will be able to resisting buying the electric.

It has been 36 days since I last purchased a uke and 18 days since a previously-purchased uke arrived.

I once went six months without acquiring a new one. I am at peace with my current selections. Okay, to be honest I have to add “for now”.

I almost posted "how?" ""how to let go?"
Then I saw who posted this, haha.

So basically to manage UAS requires a different subtype UAS... :wallbash: :D :love: :D , LOL

UAS brings happiness (and the UPS truck), so why fight it? I had five happy days in August, four in September, and two so far this month.

It has been 36 days since I last purchased a uke and 18 days since a previously-purchased uke arrived.

I once went six months without acquiring a new one. I am at peace with my current selections. Okay, to be honest I have to add “for now”.

I think you mean you have moved onto other addiction such as guitar :)

I think you mean you have moved onto other addiction such as guitar :)

It seems that everything is an addiction for me. A friend mentioned that she lost her Schrade pocket knife (Made locally till 2004). I looked online and wound up buying three Schrade pocket knives. If one is good, more is better. :)

Hey!
We are almost single-handedly keeping the world economy above water (that's rising by the way) :)

keep uas-ing... oops, uke'in',

I have had a very long and strong run of buying and selling for 4 years. But it’s been just about year, 368 days I believe since I received my LfdM 19” super tenor. That ukulele has has pretty much killed UAS for me.

Don’t ask about guitars :p

6 month for me.
I'm not cured, so can I call someone when I get nervous?

Top Bottom