Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: light vs heavy neck ?

Default light vs heavy neck ?

is a heavy neck better for sound? i heard a heavy stiff neck creates more sustain. where a light one is more punchy with quick attaks like a flemeco style .

Quote Originally Posted by nobleark View Post
    is a heavy neck better for sound? i heard a heavy stiff neck creates more sustain. where a light one is more punchy with quick attaks like a flemeco style .
    Sounds like marketing malarkey to me.

There are different opinions on many building issues.

Some reckon stiff sides, solid linings, strong neck attachment, and a stiff neck all help in ensuring the string energy generated excites the top and is not dissipated elsewhere: the theory is that this results in more volume and sustain. Some guitar makers also believe the use of a heavy wood for the neck also adds to this.

In the uke world some makers will take some of these factors into consideration and consider there are benefits to be had. I suspect few consider the use of a heavy neck material to be of benefit. Weight balance is important to some uke players so the choice of machine heads is often a consideration. For this reason I suspect a heavy uke neck would be unacceptable to many.

Quote Originally Posted by greenscoe View Post
    the theory is that this results in more volume and sustain.
    I don't mean to start a squabble here or a sustained (ha!) discussion, but just would like to point out a persistent fallacy: Volume and sustain are mutually exclusive acoustic events. In other words you can't have both. It is just physics as any acoustic engineer will tell you. Higher sustain means lower volume and higher volume means lower sustain. Guitar makers continue to market this fallacy though: "Our guitars deliver high sustain and high volume!". That is actually physically impossible. Think about it.

"If wishes were horses beggars would ride"

Vintage Martin necks are thinner than most of the newer ukes I've seen.

yeah i believe a balance of weight and strength is key. pretty much not a great difference in using a softer cedar neck vs a hardmaple neck which is stiffer and heavier.

flemeco guiatrs use cedars necks for low sustain and quick attack and others like to use maple for more sustain from what ive read in guitar world. i do like jake shimabukuros huge headstock with heavy gilbert tuners and also the think cobra headstock with the tiny gotoh tuners

A heavy, stiff neck (paired with good joinery) is beneficial for sustain. But there is a practical limit to this.

Playability is far more important than neck stiffness. Certainly the neck wants to be as stiff as possible. Most of us use a carbon fiber rod to that end. To my mind though a thinner neck is specially important for female players who generally have smaller hands. Playing a thicker neck will lead to fatigue of the forearm. Having said that a ukulele neck is pretty darn stiff by being so short as compared to a guitar. I believe in a ukulele it's pretty much a non issue.
    Michael Smith
    Goat Rock Ukulele
    www.goatrockukulele.com

It is what works as a whole, a single element will not maketh the sound, its a summation of all the elements.

As has been mentioned balance is important and a neck that is to heavy will make the uke feel rather odd to hold and play.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

gore/gilet talk about this in their books and from memeory the sentencegoes like this"never had problems withheavy necks but have had problems with light ones". Why is sustain and volume relationship opposed ie more volume less sustain? just asking.
    regards
    chris

Thread Information