Thread: Pinky fixed position

Default Pinky fixed position

Guys I see often people play with their pinky anchored on the face of the Ukulele.
    Is it something anyone can learn to do ?
    Because I find it almost impossible, guess because I must have short fingers.

Some acoustic guitarists playing with pick tend to get support in solos with pinky and even 3rd finger on top. It also did not work for me, so my hand was always free.
    With ukulele I seldom play with pick, but then it would be same.

Support with pinky can be used in fingerpicking, just my nails are usually too weak for that playing style. And in strumming my hand is free. Except sometimes with thumb strum, I use finger support.

This one is sure to get some traction. I haven't seen the "pinky anchor" discussion for a while. It's about time for it to come up again. I'll start it out by saying that I anchor the pinky when I'm finger picking. The question "Is it something anyone can learn to do", I don't know. I can't say that I learned to do it as much as it just seemed natural to me. I don't think that it is something that one has to learn to do.
    Last edited by Rllink; 10-10-2019 at 04:37 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

It’s something I had to learn to “undo” a few years back with a koa guitar. My pinkie nail was leaving tiny crescent-shaped dents in the top (which had no pick guard). I must say I now prefer NOT using the pinkie plant technique on ukes, banjos, and guitars while fingerpicking.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

coming from a classical guitar background, where resting the pinky is a big no no, I've never done it and I've never needed it. I find it so liberating to have a free hand.

Eugenio

Plus, resting the pinkie makes it more difficult to smoothly move the picking position, i.e., play over the sound hole, end of fingerboard or near the bridge in order to produce different tone colors. Plus, I use my pinkie for rasgueado strums and that long nail would really scar the soundboard if rested on it (check out Willie Nelson's Trigger).

Thanks guys I assumed wrongly it seems that it was an advantage or advanced method.
    It least I do not have to unlearn it lol.

Thread Information