Alice Strings

Badger uke

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Alice strings made in China from imported products about half the price of mainstream strings they have bright and mellow.

Isn't that a remote town in Australia?

John Colter

Hi John for some reason strings are dearer in oz considering how small and light a pack is .

Always good to have more options, but strings are already pretty cheap, how much cheaper do they need to be?

I found a China source of fluorocarbons for $2 and change per set delivered. They're similar in gauge to Martin and Oasis strings. I'm still sitting on 3-4 sets of replacement strings but at that price I'm really curious to at least check them out.

Last edited:
I found a China source of fluorocarbons for $2 and change per set delivered.

this is interesting - do you have a link to these?

this is interesting - do you have a link to these?

The link was forbidden to be posted here so I sent it to you in a PM.

The link offered 3 gauges colored in white, red or black respectively. I like lighter gauge strings so only the white strings were of interest to me. The higher gauge strings are a little higher priced but still, the most expensive sets are only $3.49 delivered. I haven't purchased or tried these strings yet so I can't vouch for them but I'm probably going to order a set or two just to try them out.

Comparison of the white set with Martin and Oasis bright high G strings in mm:

White .50 / .69 / .80 / .58
Martin .49 / .64 / .86 / .56
Oasis .55 / .69 / .76 / .58

Last edited:
I hope someone here lets us all know what they think of these!
I *think* you can add website addresses back into a UU post by editing.

There's an even better deal on the fluorocarbons than I posted about earlier from a Chinese seller on Ebay. I tried to post a link to the listing but the link was prohibited. The whites are $1.71 shipped for 1 set, $1.61 ea for 2 sets, $1.57 ea for 3 sets or $1.52 ea for 4 or more sets ordered.

** I'm in for two sets totaling $3.43 delivered. At that price it's barely even a gamble. I'm told I should have them by Dec. 19th. (I've usually had pretty good delivery times when ordering from China, usually 2-3 weeks.) I don't know when any of my ukes will need a string change. I probably won't get to these until after the New Year.

Last edited:
I'd like to hear how these worked out too. And a link would be great.

I got the two sets of strings today which was just over two weeks from the order date. They do not come in any kind of retail packaging and there is nothing identifying any kind of brand name. Each string comes in its own labeled sleeve identifying the string and the four sleeves are held together in another sleeve. I was alarmed at first thinking I was sent the wrong strings because none of them matched the expected GCEA but then I discovered that these were actually the corresponding guitar strings. Thus the 1st string labeled E = ukulele A string, the 2nd string labeled B = ukulele E string, the 3rd string labeled G = ukulele C string and the 4th string labeled D = ukulele G string. It's kind of confusing and I bet a lot of people might be thrown by that. It's a no frills kind of deal but at these prices, I wasn't expecting more. I'm looking forward to giving them a try next time I need a string change.

Top Bottom