Unique Shape Soprano Ukulele Completed

Brett S.

Reaction score
Had this wacky idea during some insomnia early a.m. which turned out too weird to not try.

Top is Western Red Cedar (slight ripples/bear claw), sides/back Honduran Mahogany, neck African Mahogany, trim Tauari, and FB/Bridge Wenge.

Just strung up today, and the sound is very nice.

What does it look like?

20190912_122050.jpgIMG_20190930_075411524.jpgIMG_20191008_131424523.jpgIMG_20191009_105658040.jpgIMG_20191009_105704998.jpg

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JGkL2fHcfkMW7Lwk6

I'm all for trying something a little different. It looks well made and I like the look- so if it sounds good, that's great. Not sure how many instruments you have previously made but looks like you know what you are doing.

While I sometimes don't like some of the odd shaped instruments I have seen, I find this very appealing. It has a gracefulness that I like a lot. The look is reminiscent of something that would be found in Japanese or Chinese design. Perhaps it is almost like the yin-yang symbol. Nice job. I would love to hear a clip of it.

That is a work of art. Very beautiful and gracefully realised. I'm a sucker for some intentional asymmetry! The shape of the body is very similar to the traditional Persian (Iranian) design, Boteh Jeghe, often known in the West as "Paisley pattern". This design is thought to be about two thousand years old, and is still very popular on textiles. It lends itself beautifully to the body of a string instrument. It looks refreshingly new, and at the same time, comfortingly familiar.

I love it.

John Colter

Very nicely done, I love odd shaped ukes.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Now that you've proved the design will you make another mango out of mango?

Love that the bridge and side-port continue the theme with their leaf shapes

Thanks for the nice words. Making one out of "mango", of course I kind of have to don't I?

You don't have to make another uke, just to find out. Try covering the side hole with duct tape and see if it makes much difference.:D

John Colter

You don't have to make another uke, just to find out. Try covering the side hole with duct tape and see if it makes much difference.:D

John Colter

I don't think I could bring myself to doing that. :eek:

Top Bottom