Machine Head String slips off Shaft

Alleyoop

Reaction score
The shaft on the machine head tuners have no lip nor indentation where hole for string is. Finding that the strings slip off the shaft probably because of this. Is this a common problem with certain tuners? Is there some way to tie the strings so they don't slip off?

The shaft on the machine head tuners have no lip nor indentation where hole for string is. Finding that the strings slip off the shaft probably because of this. Is this a common problem with certain tuners? Is there some way to tie the strings so they don't slip off?

Some old vintage tuners were straight, most these days are curved. How about a pic of yours?

Try putting the string through then taking the end you just put through and put it through yet again on top of the part of string that is already running through the post. Then as you turn the tuning machine hold onto the free end tightly...eventually it should catch.
I hope that makes sense. That's how I always do it regardless of the machine post.
Other than that, you could tie a knot of sorts at the post and pull tight. I used to do that some too. I have no idea how to describe it though. It's similar to what you'd do with a tie bridge at that end of things...something like that.

Last edited:
Try putting the string through then taking the end you just put through and put it through yet again on top of the part of string that is already running through the post. Then as you turn the tuning machine hold onto the free end tightly...eventually it should catch.
I hope that makes sense. That's how I always do it regardless of the machine post.

And that's exactly how I have always changed strings, whether on a guitar with steel strings, a classical guitar, or on a ukulele. On a dulcimer and mandolin too, if I remember correctly.

-Kurt​

Top Bottom