Thread: Machine Head String slips off Shaft

Default Machine Head String slips off Shaft

The shaft on the machine head tuners have no lip nor indentation where hole for string is. Finding that the strings slip off the shaft probably because of this. Is this a common problem with certain tuners? Is there some way to tie the strings so they don't slip off?

Quote Originally Posted by Alleyoop View Post
    The shaft on the machine head tuners have no lip nor indentation where hole for string is. Finding that the strings slip off the shaft probably because of this. Is this a common problem with certain tuners? Is there some way to tie the strings so they don't slip off?
    Some old vintage tuners were straight, most these days are curved. How about a pic of yours?
    John

Try putting the string through then taking the end you just put through and put it through yet again on top of the part of string that is already running through the post. Then as you turn the tuning machine hold onto the free end tightly...eventually it should catch.
    I hope that makes sense. That's how I always do it regardless of the machine post.
    Other than that, you could tie a knot of sorts at the post and pull tight. I used to do that some too. I have no idea how to describe it though. It's similar to what you'd do with a tie bridge at that end of things...something like that.
    Last edited by jer; 10-09-2019 at 02:47 PM.

That makes good sense . I'll try your suggestions. These posts do seem to be inferior to the ones I've normally come across.

Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    Try putting the string through then taking the end you just put through and put it through yet again on top of the part of string that is already running through the post. Then as you turn the tuning machine hold onto the free end tightly...eventually it should catch.
    I hope that makes sense. That's how I always do it regardless of the machine post.
    And that's exactly how I have always changed strings, whether on a guitar with steel strings, a classical guitar, or on a ukulele. On a dulcimer and mandolin too, if I remember correctly.

-Kurt
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Thread Information