The Ukulele construction manual first copies

Graham McDonald

Reaction score
The first copies The Ukulele have arrived from the printer and are now available, at least in Australia, to anyone who would like to purchase a copy. Go to www.mcdonaldstrings.com/ukulelebook.html to order either a hard copy or an ePub version.

It won't be available in the US or Canada for another few weeks, but you can pre-order a copy on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Illustra ... 385&sr=8-1
For those in Europe Amazon will probably be the best way to get a copy.

IMG_1603.jpg

Have bought this as a zip file and will have fun exploring it over the next few days/weeks. Thanks.

On reading the blurb under the pictures of the ukes, I noticed one of the tenors is a "23 fret to the body" style, which I found intriguing. On counting the frets to the body I was disappointed to find there were only 12 - only half of what was promised. My question is this: "Is this an aspirational goal, blatantly misleading advertising or merely a slip of the digits?"
My next question is "Do I now get a discount?" :confused: ;);)
Miguel

Have bought this as a zip file and will have fun exploring it over the next few days/weeks. Thanks.

On reading the blurb under the pictures of the ukes, I noticed one of the tenors is a "23 fret to the body" style, which I found intriguing. On counting the frets to the body I was disappointed to find there were only 12 - only half of what was promised. My question is this: "Is this an aspirational goal, blatantly misleading advertising or merely a slip of the digits?"
My next question is "Do I now get a discount?" :confused: ;);)
Miguel

A typo? I suspect.

Blatantly misleading advertising I would think. I just knew someone would find a typo that I and several other people had missed. Where in the ePub?

Love that opening chapter on the island style build! edit - it was a little bit confusing figuring out how to download it to my iPad but that's done and it looks like a great book. I’m really looking forward to making an island style with rope binding.

Last edited:
(pre) Ordered :) - Thanks Graham.

Even though I know my way around building a uke, I try to buy and read all luthiery books on all instruments (ukes, acoustic and electric guitars, violins, etc)- I recommend this to all luthiers, no matter how good you are. You always learn some little trick.

Pre-ordered over here as well. I'm on the other end of the spectrum from Beau . . . I''m currently working on ukes #3 & #4. I've learned a lot over the past couple of years, but I'm always trying to learn more. My thanks, also.

19 November, which is today here but tomorrow in most of the rest of the world, is the official release date of The Ukulele - an illustrated workshop manual. Those kind folks who have pre-ordered copies should get them very soon and any book shop in the US or Canada will be able to get copies as well. In Australia copies are available directly from me (and hopefully soon from a couple of lutherie suppliers) , while for the rest of the world Amazon will be your best bet.

Cheers

Put my order in to Amazon several weeks ago. Patiently waiting.

I just got the delivery notice from Amazon. Some good incentive not to stay late at work!

Probably not going to be able to make use of it until spring, but I hope to have my current kit uke and next one all but done by the time it's warm enough to finish them, and then onto a scratch build.

--Rob

It arrived this morning...and I'm now reading the chapter on making rope binding ... Thanks Graham it's a very impressive publication I hope you sell loads of e'm.:cheers:

The first copies The Ukulele have arrived from the printer and are now available, at least in Australia, to anyone who would like to purchase a copy. Go to www.mcdonaldstrings.com/ukulelebook.html to order either a hard copy or an ePub version.

It won't be available in the US or Canada for another few weeks, but you can pre-order a copy on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Illustra ... 385&sr=8-1
For those in Europe Amazon will probably be the best way to get a copy.

View attachment 121975

On page 23 in your book about the radius dish you said, using the 15' radius pattern in the plans at the back of this book, cut curved strips from the lengths of 2"×1" pine. I don't see this pattern in the book anywhere, where can I find it?

Top Bottom