Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fret spacing Soprano/Concert/Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
    Actually, I was thinking more in terms of how does one know what one prefers re nut width, string spacing, etc. etc. without being able to audition the options. Probably a rhetorical question.
    Sadly the answer is that you basically end up buying blind via mail order and usually donít get much of an idea in shops. If youíre in a Uke Club you might get to talk to some other players and maybe have a go on their Ukes.

Trail and error is the way that I found my own way forward. I bought and sold inexpensive versions of all the (three) standard sizes and discovered that Tenor was too big for me, Concert was OK and Soprano is ideal for my purposes if I spread the strings - 30/31 mm over the strings is my target
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 10-10-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
    Great tip on the tool! It is not possible to have too many tools and I need one of those!

Actually, I was thinking more in terms of how does one know what one prefers re nut width, string spacing, etc. etc. without being able to audition the options. Probably a rhetorical question.
    It's all personal. Just play the uke you have, are there times you feel cramped on certain chords or fingerings? Many folks are perfectly happy on the standard 35mm nut, and 27-29mm string spread . Other folks need more room. Or try other ukes at shops. Most widely available ukes in shops, like Kala, Lanakai, etc, will have std 35mm nuts. But some, like Cordoba tenors, come with the wider 38mm.
    John

Thread Information