K-Brand tenor Nut Width/String Spacing specs

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I've never played any of these ukes, but aspire to own one some day. Just wondering on the nut width and string spacing at the nut on these 3 models, as they come from the factory. I like wide 38mm nuts, but I also prefer wider string spacing. If you have one, I'd love to learn the specs on yours (nut width and also string spacing at the nut, measured as outside of G string to outside of A string)

Kanilea K1T, supposedly 38mm nut

Koaloha KTM-00, supposedly 38mm nut

Kamaka HF-3, they don't seem to publish their nut width specs, but I believe it may be the more standard 35mm, or 1 3/8"

Another thing I noticed from my pic mashup: on the Kanilea, it appears there is a much greater distance between the nut and the first set of tuner posts, presumably for more hand room when playing down near the nut.

K-Brand headstocks.JPG

Last edited:
I've never played any of these ukes, but aspire to own one some day. Just wondering on the nut width and nut string spacing on these 3 models, as they come from the factory. I like wide 38mm nuts, but I also prefer wider string spacing. If you have one, I'd love to learn the specs on yours (nut width and also string spacing at the nut, measured as outside of G string to outside of A string)

Kanilea K1T, supposedly 38mm nut

Koaloha KTM-00, supposedly 38mm nut

Kamaka HF-3, they don't seem to publish their nut width specs, but I believe it may be the more standard 35mm, or 1 3/8"

View attachment 121981

Without measuring, having played all three and owned Kamaka and KoAloha, I feel like the KoAloha and Kamaka spacing feel the same while the Kanile'a tenor neck feels wider.

I'm always surprised how much wider and fatter, the Kanile'a neck is. Maybe it is deceptive because the KoAloha neck profile is slimmer than the other two as well.

Just my $0.02

Why so particular? Aren't there more variables? like thickness? length?

Try before you buy...I had an interesting experience...two K1Ts...the one I purchased was soooooooomuch more bright than the other one which seemed sooo much more muted. I believe the Kamakas and the KoAlohas are more consistent model to model...but the craftsmanship of all of them are wonderful! I would definitely recommend an HF-3L just soooo different and different sounding, especially if you only buy one "K" model!

Why so particular? Aren't there more variables? like thickness? length?......

I have some hand issues, and wide nuts and string spacing really help my playing. I can play standard 35mm nuts, but do way better on them if the string spacing is 30mm or better.

These are the dimensions from mine. I believe the Ko'Aloha may have changed.

Ko’Aloha KTM-00 Made: Jan 2017
Nut at fingerboard 1-1/2”; Rounded ends of nut curve toward strings. Almost 1/8” from string to start of curve.
String Spacing: 1-1/16” CL (Centerline to Centerline)
Approx 11/32” String CL - CL.

Kamaka HF-3 Made: 2017
Nut at fingerboard 1-7/16”; Rounded ends of nut curve toward strings.
String Spacing: 1-3/16” CL- CL
Approx 13/32” String CL - CL.

Kanile’a K1-T Made: Apr 2018
Nut at fingerboard 1-3/8”; Very little slant toward the strings. Just a slight rounding of the corners.
String Spacing: 1-1/8” CL- CL
Approx 3/8” String CL - CL.

Hope this helps.

Wow, surprised on those 2, I expected the exact opposite, as I always thought Kanilea tenors had 1.5" nut.

Converting those to metric, I got:

Kamaka HF-3 nut=36.5 mm string spread=30.16 mm

Kanilea K1T nut=35 mm string spread= 28.57 mm

Seems like the Kamaka would have significantly more room, which I wasn't expecting, especially since Kanilea publishes their nut spec as 38mm. Thanks for measuring! Hope to get a few more examples here.

Last edited:
I have a Koaloha KTM and find it easy to play. As a point of reference I usually prefer 1-3/8"nut but do find the Koaloha very comfortable. However I purchased it through HMS and do love it's setup. As a point of reference I have small hands and wear woman's size S - M gloves.

Concert scale neck, not tenor, but I believe the tenors are the same. I measured mine just now.

KoAloha nut is 37mm, and string spread is 28mm (2006 model) I have owned 2 KoAloha concert scale ukes, 2006 model & 2015 model. Both were 37mm nut.
Kanilea nut is 38mm, and string spread is 30mm (2016 model) I owned an Islander tenor at one time (Kanilea's import line), and it had a 38mm/1.5 inch nut.

I am not a big fan of 1 3/8 nut size. I find the KoAloha neck to be wide enough for comfort, with a neck shape that's not too thin, nor too thick. The Kanilea is a smidgen wider, that I like for finger picking. The Kanilea neck is also a comfortable shape, without being too thin or too thick. I had a Loprinzi for about a year, and I found that neck shape to be a little too thin for me.

Last edited:
Another thing I noticed from my pic mashup: on the Kanilea, it appears there is a much greater distance between the nut and the first set of tuner posts, presumably for more hand room when playing down near the nut.

View attachment 121981

That can make a big difference for some people, depending how they play. It looks like the Kala Elite neck leans more toward the Kanilea.

Top Bottom