How to tune for key signature?

atstockland

Reaction score
I'm assuming there is an understanding of how to tune a Uke for a given key signature. Or, perhaps I'm totally misunderstanding this concept. What Ukulele tuning would this image require (g-clef with two flats)? I know from trial and error it is tuned down about 3/4 of a step...but, it seems reading the key signature should tell me exactly what to tune to.

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 5.07.26 PM.jpg

I think you may have a mistaken idea of how these things work. You don't have to re-tune your uke to play in different keys. Assuming you are using re entrant gCEA tuning (as very many do) then you simply play the given chords, or notes. The example you show is in the key of Bb (B flat).

The three principle chords in that key are Bb; Eb;F7.

There is a lot more to it, of course. I hope this helps.

John Colter

I'm assuming there is an understanding of how to tune a Uke for a given key signature. Or, perhaps I'm totally misunderstanding this concept. What Ukulele tuning would this image require (g-clef with two flats)? I know from trial and error it is tuned down about 3/4 of a step...but, it seems reading the key signature should tell me exactly what to tune to.

View attachment 122010

You are totally misunderstanding this concept.

Totally misunderstanding sounds harsh as this is a beginner thread.

There are many options how to play in Bb/Gm key.

1. Tune your uke down one a whole step and use C/Am key chord shapes. Not practical that retuning for just a tune, but a very popular one with tenor ukulele tunings.

2. Best option is to learn those chords in our regular GCEA tuning.

3. Put a capo on 3rd fret and then you can play with G/Em keys chords, mostly. Usually in music some off key chords anyways in all these options.

I think the OP may have been mislead by some old sheet music. Back in the 1920s (I think) it was common practice to print music with chord windows for ukulele. At the time, sopranos, concerts, tenors and baritones all used different standard tunings, so they would tell you the ukulele tuning appropriate for the printed "windows".

Don't re-tune your uke. Just play the appropriate chord "shapes".

John Colter

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help. What I find confusing is this...if an artist performs a song on an Ukulele with custom tuning (in this case, tuned down), when reading the sheet music is there no way of determining what that tuning is? I can tune by ear, or search forums like this to find other peoples suggestions on what the tuning is. But, isn't that the point of sheet music? Why would I need other tools, or guessing, when I am holding the documentation of the music. Especially, when I know the song is tuned down. And, the key signature suggests it is tuned down (at least I think thats what the two flat symbols indicate). And, yet...it's a guessing game.

A sharp key signature would allow you to use bar chords, or alternate chords, or a capo. But, a flat key signature requires you to tune down in order to match the songs key. Ukantor suggested "Don't re-tune your uke. Just play the appropriate chord "shapes""...but, if the key is lower than the open strings I must tune down.

Thanks again everyone!! I have a lot to learn.

I don't know if this is true, but I have read that the great George Formby played a limited number of chord shapes. During his act, he would play in different keys by using a number of different instruments with alternative tunings.

John Colter.

If you are not playing with others, you could just play in C if you are more familiar with those chord shapes. I find that flat keys are most comfortable played using all closed chords.

Bb-3211 F7-2313 Eb-3331 or you could mute the first string and play 333X since the Bb on the first string is duplicated on the 4th string.

A sharp key signature would allow you to use bar chords, or alternate chords, or a capo. But, a flat key signature requires you to tune down in order to match the songs key. Ukantor suggested "Don't re-tune your uke. Just play the appropriate chord "shapes""...but, if the key is lower than the open strings I must tune down.

Thanks again everyone!! I have a lot to learn.

Yes of course you have some to learn. You can find all the chords in sites like this, my fave:
https://ukebuddy.com/ukulele-chords
And play like my 2. option or ukantor's suggestion without retuning any or using a capo.

Key signatures don't imply that some key is higher or lower exactly.

My option 3. is a one example of that you can use always use a capo if you know chords in some other "lower" key, like G in this case. If you only know C key chords, capo won't work for you with Bb.
I never use a capo with uke, but it can be a quick save, when not knowing a key's like Bb chords fingerings.

Circle of fifths is a good one to find all your 6 basic chords in any key. In C/Am key they are all in that 11, 12 and 1 (13) hour sector. F, C and G(7), Dm, Am and Em (sometimes E(7).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_fifths
Just the circle picture,for heavens sake ignore the words :)

Lets think about keys of C, F and G. If some song is not suiting your singing range in C, then most likely F or G will work. F and G are close as root notes, even if other has one flat as key signature and the other one sharp.

But there is a twist. When C key does not suit your singing range, singing in G you can either sing a fifth higher or a fourth lower. Some "duality". Or in Bb you can sing a whole tone lower or minor 7th higher than in C.

That circle is a powerful non mechanical transposing tool too.

Last edited:
Hi,atstockland!

I think your concept is not wrong and it is applied for blues harps, ocarinas and any other small instruments. Key of C is easy for piano, because we can only use white key board. Key of Bb is easy for Bb clarinet (see the figure below).
I have 12 blues harp set for each keys and I choose one from them according to the key.

But we cheat (transpose) keys instead of change the ukulele's (or other string instruments) tuning (key), if it were easier to play. We cheat pitch (concert and written). The reason why we do not change tuning is the string tensions are optimized for the instruments.

Wrong yahalele, we don't cheat.

Our instrument is able to play in so many keys. Some of course harder than others. Some conveniences with utilising open chords, but less so than say with a guitar. Less need of a capo use, unless depending on them and the licks.

Not like a diatonic harmonica with just one key or 2 if blues.

That many blowing orchestra instruments, flute and recorders excluded and some others I don't know, are mostly from the historic tradition transposing, THAT is is cheating rather. When they these days can play also in many keys with evolved mechanisms. Not just their flat keys that are the easiest. Like in jazz music.

Good point that about the optimal string tension, which is subjective too and depending of the player.

My opinion is that every soprano, concert or tenor uke player should know their chords in GCEA tuning. And then if tune lower for say tenor, use a capo when playing with a group. So I strongly disagree with jimavery. Eb/Cm is not that difficult with our standard tuning, but always possible to play with C chords and capo on 3rd, or D chords and capo on 1st fret. Unless the real life is playing something just in that key, then by all means tune whatever.

Last edited:
Hi, Jarmo!

Transposing the key means changing the pitch. When we transpose, we do not play real pitch, which is described on the music sheet. The key was Bb on the music sheet, and I play key of C on my ukulele. I said we cheat. Of course, we can play any keys on our ukulele.

Your three options are not cheating and they are as ame pitch as described on music sheet.

Last edited:
atstockland said, "If the key is lower than the open strings I must tune down."

Think about that statement. It indicates where your thinking is confused. How can a key be lower than the open strings? You've got all those notes which are higher than the open strings. That's what the fret board is for - use it. It enables you to play any chord (or, at least, four notes of any chord) that you need to play.

John Colter

Top Bottom