Assemetrical neck profile?

PetalumaRescuke

Reaction score
I have often wondered why neck profiles are symmetrical. Would a flattened bass side or even a groove work nicely with the thumb up and down the neck. Or has this already been tried and discarded?

Some guitars have asymmetrical necks. Most notably some Takamine models with a design that is supposed to reduce fatigue. That's why they are so popular as stage guitars that can be used for hours of playing.

Never seen it on a uke. But on electric guitars, Warmoth offers an aftermarket strat neck with a custom asymmetrical back profile, called SRV (Stevie Ray Vaughan). The back profile is fuller on the thumb side, and slimmer on the finger side, designed to give a nice full feel in the palm, with easier finger access.

Last edited:
I have a parlor guitar and a tenor guitar sized baritone made with asymmetrical necks. It allows me to move up the neck without having to change wrist positions. The luthier, George Thomas of Thomas Guitars, Bellingham Washington specializes making ergonomic instruments. He built the top bevels at the angle I hold the instrument and forearm. I play sitting down so he built a scoop in the lower waist at the angle I hold the baritone. Incredible instruments.

The asymmetrical neck is really good for those with hand issues. George is retired and builds one instrument at a time. Been playing 61 years and these are the best instruments I've played, along with my 1893 Bay State Parlor.

Attachments

• IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1491.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1433.jpg
    IMG_1433.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1208.jpg
    IMG_1208.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 55
I do not see it anywhere near as useful on a Uke as it could be on a guitar, pickup any guitar and play it and its the neck profile that either works or not. I have played many Fender Strats but I have not found one with a neck that I feel comfortable with, that does not stop them being a great guitar, pick up a Gibson Les Paul and it is perfect for me but we are talking about much more neck real estate on a guitar than we are on a Uke.

Lets get real a Uke neck is way, way smaller than a guitar and as a guy with hand issues the big problem that I have is neck thickness and nut width ( and hence fretboard dynamics ) and I am pretty sure other folks with hand issues will have similar problems to me with a Uke neck.

As with all things related to musical instruments there can be no right or wrong way, there is only what works for you.

In other words if it works for you then that is fantastic but please manage exoectations.

Great responses, and that's a fabulous build by George Thomas. I guess the ukulele neck is too short with the exception of maybe a baritone or a special request.

Top Bottom