Twin Tenors

dasuol

Reaction score
I just finished these twin tenors. I built these two as close to identical as I could, except for the soundboard bracing pattern, as an experiment to see:

1. How close to the same I could get them and
2. How the difference in bracing would impact the sound.

There's not as much difference in the sound as I thought there might be. If anything, I think the one with the V bracing (the second one in the videos) may have just slightly more low end. It's hard to tell for sure. Overall, it was a fun experiment and a good learning experience. I'm quite pleased with how both of them turned out.

Specs:
Top: Western Red Cedar
B&S: Goncalo Alves
Neck: Mahogany and Maple
Fretboard & Bridge: Granadillo
Accents: Granadillo and Walnut

2019-10-09 23.07.56.jpg 2019-10-09 23.08.48.jpg 2019-06-25 21.37.27.jpg 2019-06-25 21.38.58.jpg 2019-06-25 21.38.44.jpg

Looking good! Its always interesting to see others experimenting or building something a little different.

I have yet to try the V bracing but it does seem to me that there's more low end to that instrument. I thought that straight away on the strumming comparison but had to listen to the finger picking several times to reach the same conclusion. However my own experience tells me that no two instruments ever sound the same even when built the same way. It does however encourage me to make an instrument with V bracing.

Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom