Chord changes.

On a related note, I find that certain chords - barre chords for the most part - take me a long time to get to, and are very awkward to form; I always feel that the neck of the instrument wants to drop, and I have to sort of juggle it while I change my hand position, which of course interrupts the, er, dulcet tones I'm producing. Is there a trick to this, or is it just a case of practicing and getting quicker at moving my hand position? I try to keep my thumb on the back of the neck as much as possible.

Yes - the trick is to use a strap. That way you can always keep your fretting thumb in the optimal position ;)

Yes - the trick is to use a strap. That way you can always keep your fretting thumb in the optimal position ;)

I do use a strap when playing with the group, and I still have trouble "juggling" everything with some chords. I wasn't sure if there was a simple trick that I'd missed, but it looks like I just need to practice more, and practice better technique!

I do use a strap when playing with the group, and I still have trouble "juggling" everything with some chords. I wasn't sure if there was a simple trick that I'd missed, but it looks like I just need to practice more, and practice better technique!

It could also be a problem with the particular uke you’re playing. Pono tenors, for example, have a truss rod in the neck that, IMO, throws their balance way off and makes them uncomfortably neck-heavy. I am far more comfortable with a ukulele of any size that is better balanced so I don’t feel as if it’s nose-diving in the split second in which I’m changing chords.

Top Bottom