Kanilea Oha tenor

Ukecaster

Reaction score
These were new for 2019. Haven't heard much about them. All solid, koa top, mahogany B&S, same TRU bracing. Has anybody played one, and what did you think? Wondering how they sound compared to the next step up, the K1T?

Didn't like the look at first, but it's growing on me, reminds me of some of the spartan-looking older Kanileas.

https://www.ukulelemag.com/gear-reviews/uke-review-kanilea-oha-t-tenor

Oha.JPG

Oha-T.JPG

Last edited:
On Episode 19.11 of HMS' The Ukulele Review, the crew compares an Oha to a K-1 T. The segment begins at 1h38m30s into the video. They've held a couple of discussions about the Oha line on their vlog, but that segment is probably the most pertinent.

I'm eager to try a few, but they're still hard to find in the wild. In many places, ukes at that price point sit in a store for 2-3 years. Oha models are still new enough that many Kanile'a dealers have yet to cycle them into their inventory.

Last edited:
I played one at the Kanilea shop and although I didn't like it as much as the all Koa models, I thought it was a very good deal. They sound very nice.

ANDREAS DAVID has a nice review of the entire Oha line on Youtube. Granted, it's in German. But I'm one to prioritize sound clips & intelligently played comparisons over blahblahblah when it comes to reviews (though Andreas is someone whose opinion I'm much more likely to pay attention to than many others).

a particularly striking looking Oha concert...
20190908_KanileaOhaConcertLiveAloha.jpg

Last edited:
Alex at Southern Ukulele Store reviewd the Kanile’a Oha OHA-ST Super Tenor with hog back & sides, Koa Top, and walnut fretboard.

The first of three Kanile'a tenors reviewed is the OHA Super Tenor:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE1OtyH20AI

I thought they did another review of an OHA, but I couldn't find it.

Last edited:
I played a couple Kanile'a Oha tenors at HMS a few weeks ago but left the shop with a Kale Koa Elite. I was shopping for Kanile'a—love my GL6—but the Oha tenors I played sounded bright and thin and just weren't my cup 'o tea. Even the Oha Super tenor was on the thin and bright side (and really unattractive koa topside compared to the samples in reviews). I loved the Kanile'a K3 cedar and koa tenor they had on the wall but it was $2500! The Elite has a big and sweet voice and higher grade koa than the Oha plus an ebony board and binding for about the same money as the Oha.

Top Bottom