Season 400 Myths and Legends

Tootler

Reaction score
No intro video. I've had a very busy week and had very little time for making a video. I will post a video I made for a recent season that fits the theme later.

The theme this week is myths, legends and folklore.

The challenge is to record a song, existing or original that either

1. tells a folk tale, myth or legend
2. references traditional lore, magic, witchcraft etc. even if it doesn't tell a specific tale.

Your songs can be based on real folklore or based on fictional characters in fantasy novels, eg Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones etc., etc.

This theme is well suited to original songs, so I look forward to entries from the songsmiths among us.

Please limit entries to no more than one song a day. I may lift this limit later in the week

The usual rules and guidelines apply

* The recording must be new and made for this week
* Ukulele must be a prominent feature though other instruments may also feature.
* State verbally or in writing your video is for Season 400
* Original songs are especially welcome
* Instrumentals are welcome as is multi tracking
* Start and finsh times as usual, 8 days starting midnight Hawaii on Sunday morning and ending Midnight Hawaii the following Saturday night* * * Most importantly, this is about fun so enjoy yourselves.

If you're not sure if a song fits, it probably does so do it and enter it anyway. No need to check with me. I'm not going to reject any of your entries. They are all good.

Playlist

Last edited:
Here is a video of one of my original songs that fits the theme. Done for a season almost a year ago.

Great theme, Geoff! Or should it be fantastic theme?

I spiring theme.
Just printed lyrics for a medieval danish song.
I am not sure what will go the most wrong.
Doing a medieval song in danish with subtitles, trying to translate it to english, or to attempt writing a modern song about the same myth.
Perhaps I should just find a contemporary song with proper references.

A memorable theme for the 400th Season, Geoff! (And, Mikkel ... I think you should go for it!)

Congratulations to all who have made this 400 possible. I've been around since 325.Loved every week.
Here's a Greek myth.Tim Buckley with a fairly literal take on The Sirens myth.One of the myths that is really ingrained and referenced in Western culture...maybe other cultures too for all I know.
On baritone with some melodica and glockenspeil.
Excellent theme Geoff.
just edited...I think Nick Cave's "The Ship Song" may have been influenced by this??To my ear anyway.

Last edited:
A Silkie from the Orkney Islands in Scotland is a man when he walks on land
and a seal when in the sea. You've got your Joan Baez and your Judy Collins
singing this song but for me the definitive version which is full of mystery is
by the Corries. God only knows what instruments they are playing but the
atmosphere they create is chilling. Give their version a listen.
As far as I can make out they only use one chord B throughout the song.
I do play the Ukulele on this but it has been filtered through various effects
such as cascade, sitar, and reversal of fortune and only one chord is played in the
whole song in an attempt to get that astonishing Corries sound. Give a listen to their
version if you will at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbhFlt0cRcs and you might
catch a glimpse of the strange instruments they are playing.

Hello, Geoff! When I was about seven - inspired by Roger Lancelyn Green's book and by re-runs of the old black and white TV series - my hero was Robin Hood. I am sure he must fit into either the "myths" or "legends" category. This is the theme tune from that television series (I'll try to come up with something more "sensible" later in the week!)

This is a strange country song that I came across recently. I don't know if it's based on an urban legend or if the writer just made the whole thing up. It was included on a multi-volume compilation called Twisted Tales From the Vinyl Wasteland, apparently on volume 3. However, I have another set from that collection that is also called volume 3 and it's a completely different track list, so I'm not sure what's going on there.* Anyway, this collection was called "Murder in the Swamp." The archetypal swamp seems to be a popular setting for songs of this sort.

*I think the one I already have is from their rockabilly collection, and this song is from their swamp rock collection, or something like that.

When I was a lad, this song was inescapable. For good reason. So dang catchy.

I completely forgot how sad it is until practicing it. Oh well.

Congrats to all Seasonistas for making it to No. 400!!

Top Bottom