Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Season 400 Myths and Legends

What, nobody wanted to play all 11 minutes of "Desolation Row"? (Cinderella, mermaids, etc.)

Here's a different fairy tale-based song. Super catchy, but maybe hasn't aged so well...

Andy

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
    ~A.W.E. O'Shaughnessy

Not the first time I've gone to post a Seasons video and seen what I was about to post right there... It's a sign of good fortune and auspiciousness! We're linked today, Andy (I haven't watched yours yet, but will do so forthwith)

I was so disappointed to learn yesterday that the Iron Cross cover that I spent several days adapting a Burmese folk tale to fit was not what I thought it was. Here I thought I'd discovered a new songwriting possibility. Many, if not most of the songs which have become standards here in Myanmar over the years have actually just been English-language hits with their lyrics re-written into the local language, often without the local even being aware of the original.

I thought I was turning the tables. A hit song from Myanmar's biggest rock band, and I wrote Eblish lyrics for it... Then I played it for a co-worker yesterday.
    "That's a song from The Scorpions", he told me.
    "No, it's Iron Cross"
    "Yeah, I know, but it's a cover a Scorpions song"

Oh. He pulled up the original from the German band (in English), but he didn't need to. It totally sounds like a Scorpions song.

So what I had done was I'd made an English version of Myanmar tune that was itself a version of an English song. Kind of took away my satisfaction.

I had to do another for 400... Mind you, I was going for the crazy Big Bad Wolf look in this video. I called it my fist "BBW" (Big Bad Wolf) video just to see what that very popular internet abbreviation would do to it's view count.

Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

i'm not sure there's ever been a person whose short life has been mythologized more than Kurt Cobain's.
    this, from the Mountain Goats The Sunset Tree LP (2005).

Iíve been missing my Seasonista friends. Last week, the chorus teacher at our school approached me and asked if my elementary ukulele students would play with the elementary chorus at our holiday convocation this year. This is the song he had picked out, and I recorded a ukulele track for the chorus to practice along with. I realized that the song fit this seasonís theme, so I added some vocals. So hereís your very, very early Christmas song. Now I just have to get 15 kids to learn it. Wish me luck!
    "Ah, Music. A Magic beyond all we do here!" - Albus Dumbledore.

I couldn't learn this one in time for Joko's Season, but I managed to bash something into place for SEASON 400 !

This is an early Genesis song that tells the story of the Greek myth of Hermaphroditus.

Every hundred Seasons, I tally up how many Seasons I've taken part in. As of this video, it's 298 of the 400 Seasons.

Last edited by uke4ia; 10-21-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

Here's a song from 1916 about a guy who is apparently being haunted by spectral ukuleles.

Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

yet another homemade song....................... this is such an inspiring week for song ideas!!

"sandman"

lynda

acid sciffle

The Beatles, both myth and legend...

Have a good soprano

My whistling channel

Getting this in under the wire. I have been away all week in Portugal learning to surf (or rather, falling off the board a lot).

Just got back after a 12 hour drive.

I had written the lyrics while I was away and put it to music (sub folk) tonight and recorded it.

It is a family legend, I hope that counts.

Now to catch up on the week that was.
    Meanwhile, here is:

Epiphone Les Paul (Red) Concert
    Kala KA FMTE - C (Low G)
    Steel Strung Hora Baritone
    Korala Baritone UKB 36
    Eugene Customised Tanglewood TU5 Baritone (High D)
    Yamaha GL1 Guitarlele
    Baritone Ukulele Banjo
    Oscar Schmidt 8 String Tenor
    Oscar Schmidt 6 String Tenor
    Jack Daniels Tenor - by Peavey
    Mainland Red Cedar Concert
    Korala Soprano Mahogany Electro Acoustic Cutaway
    Tenor Resonator Ukulele HB CLU 34-T
    Alida Electric Tenor
    Harley Benton CLU-Bass

Back in the 90s, a friend of mine wrote this beautiful song adapting the myth Orpheus of Eurydice to life in 90s Los Angeles.

Thank you, Geoff, for this Season! And thank you all for 400 (or however many you've contributed to) amazing weeks of music!!
    -Ralf Youtz

My videos are here.

The future is unwritten.

Thread Information