Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Played at Jakes concert

Default Played at Jakes concert

Jakes Shimabukuro played in Bellingham,Wa. tonight in a theatre built around 1920. It's grown since then and has become a cultural hub for incoming acts on their way to Vancouver Canada or down to Seattle.

I'm part of a uke group that was asked to do the pre show for the patrons of the theatre. First time any entertainment at a pre show. Normally, there is a get together and at the end, the guest comes in for a meet and greet along with answering questions from the audience.

He was really a nice guy. Before the patrons entered and we were getting ready, he came in and shook our hands along with checking out some of the instruments the group has. One being my contra baritone. He thought it was really nice and did a few strums on it. He left, we did the show with his coming back for the questions and answers.

On one of the last songs, Georgia on my mind, I do a solo. I found out later he was on the side listening and started playing backup while I played and clapped after I finished. Glad I didn't know he was there or probably would have messed up more than I thought I did. We always hear our own mistakes lol.

He entered the room after we finished and he did the question and answers less than two feet away from me. I could have reached and grabbed his phone out of his back pocket easily.

Have met and worked with well known people before. He was so humble and forth coming. A real pleasure being around him and his being so gracious allowing us to play before his concert.

Was a lot of fun and still coming down from the great fun it was. Normally we do assisted facilities etc. bringing music to those who otherwise wouldn't have the opprotunity; like so many of you do. Was a rush playing to a very sophisticated audience and experiencing what a truly humble nice man Jake is.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 10-12-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Great experience. I met Jake in DownTown Los Angeles at U-Space when he was here for a show at the Japanese Museum near there. He stopped in earlier to say hi to his friend, the owner of U-Space, Jason Arimoto, also an accomplished uke player and performer. I talked with Jake just for a few moments, very nice guy. I saw him in Ventura a few years ago.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

What an amazing experience!
    Kathryn

Congratulations on that great experience, and thanks for sharing it.

Jake is just a really nice guy,........also a pretty good ukulele player LOL
    Last edited by stevejfc; 10-13-2019 at 09:27 AM.

That sounds like a great experience! Thanks for sharing.

found out they did a video of Jake playing with us and put on his Facebook site. https://www.facebook.com/85172448429...983430?sfns=mo

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    found out they did a video of Jake playing with us and put on his Facebook site. https://www.facebook.com/85172448429...983430?sfns=mo
    That was pretty darn AWESOME !!

That is a great experience.

My wife and I got to see Jake at the House of Blues in New Orleans this year. The concert was in the Parish room that only holds a few hundred. The show was standing room only and we stood no more than 10' from Jake all night.

After the show, Jake came out and shook everyone's hand. He is a really nice guy and puts on a great show.
    My Ukes

Kiwaya KSU-1L
    Cordoba 15-CM
    Kala KA-ATP-CTG
    Pono AT

The concert was great. It’s nice to see a few familiar Bellinghamsters in the FB video.

Thread Information