Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: NUD X Two

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    4,592

    Default NUD X Two

    I got two ukes within a few days of each other, so I'm posting them together.

    A friend raves about her Blackbird Clara, and I've seen so many favorable comments online that I was persuaded to order one from the company. They estimated a build time of eight weeks, but it was ready in five. You specify what you want, leave a deposit, and then make sure it's paid off before they ship it. You can pay over a few weeks or all at once, whichever you prefer.

    The sound really is amazing. I brought it to my weekly jam yesterday, and I was afraid I was drowning everyone out. (I wasn't). It's very comfortable to hold and to play. I'm glad I ordered it with the low-G. One odd thing is the inability to put a strap button in the heel area. Since the company doesn't want to drill a hole in that hollow area, neither do I.

    The other uke is a well-used Fluke, #17880. As you can see, the top shows signs of being played. Shameful! I'm going to have something painted on the top, so the marks don't matter, and I'll probably replace the fretboard. This is my second green Fluke concert, but I had the plastic fretboard on the other one replaced with wood, so I won't have trouble telling them apart. Eventually, both will be painted.

    The number is interesting, though. It has a fairly early number, indicating that it was made in CT, the label inside is yellow, rather than the orange used in the other CT labels I have seen. So at some point, the CT plant switched from orange to yellow labels, which they have kept to this day. Although it is old and shows some wear, it is without defect, and it sounds beautiful. Dale certainly hit on a perfect design with these Flukes.

    Blackbird Clara-2.jpg Green 2.jpg
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,260

    Default

    I purchased my Clara from HMS, and they added a strap button to the neck for me. When I received it, I was kind of puzzled at the location. It's to the side of the neck, but on the side closest to me, instead of the opposite side where most strap buttons would be located. Instead of coming under the neck for support, it comes straight up. I've always wondered why they did it this way. Maybe it has to do with the location of the sound hole for access to the inside??? In any event, it works just fine. I have seen other Claras with strap buttons at the neck, but I can't remember exactly where they were attached. Several people in my uke groups have Claras, so I'll pay more attention to the strap buttons at our next meetings.

    I held off on getting a Clara for a long time because of the price. But I'm so glad I finally splurged. It has such a great sound & versatility. Enjoy yours Jerry!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RafterGirl; 10-13-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Kanilea KCS-SSP super soprano - circa 2016

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    4,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    I purchased my Clara from HMS, and they added a strap button to the neck for me. When I received it, I was kind of puzzled at the location. It's to the side of the neck, but on the side closest to me, instead of the opposite side where most strap buttons would be located. Instead of coming under the neck for support, it comes straight up. I've always wondered why they did it this way. Maybe it has to do with the location of the sound hole for access to the inside??? In any event, it works just fine. I have seen other Claras with strap buttons at the neck, but I can't remember exactly where they were attached. Several people in my uke groups have Claras, so I'll pay more attention to the strap buttons at our next meetings.

    I held off on getting a Clara for a long time because of the price. But I'm so glad I finally splurged. It has such a great sound & versatility. Enjoy yours Jerry!
    That's interesting. I've seen a couple of ukes with the strap button on top of the neck, and not for left-handed players. Can you see inside where it goes through? Maybe they wanted access to the inside to put some kind of support in there. I don't like the balance with the strap attached to the headstock.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    That's interesting. I've seen a couple of ukes with the strap button on top of the neck, and not for left-handed players. Can you see inside where it goes through? Maybe they wanted access to the inside to put some kind of support in there. I don't like the balance with the strap attached to the headstock.
    Did you ask them why they won't put a strap button there? As the manufacturer, their opinion should carry the most weight.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    4,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    Did you ask them why they won't put a strap button there? As the manufacturer, their opinion should carry the most weight.
    Right, I think I'll email them and see what they say.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    I purchased my Clara from HMS, and they added a strap button to the neck for me. When I received it, I was kind of puzzled at the location. It's to the side of the neck, but on the side closest to me, instead of the opposite side where most strap buttons would be located. Instead of coming under the neck for support, it comes straight up. I've always wondered why they did it this way. Maybe it has to do with the location of the sound hole for access to the inside??? In any event, it works just fine. I have seen other Claras with strap buttons at the neck, but I can't remember exactly where they were attached. Several people in my uke groups have Claras, so I'll pay more attention to the strap buttons at our next meetings.

    I held off on getting a Clara for a long time because of the price. But I'm so glad I finally splurged. It has such a great sound & versatility. Enjoy yours Jerry!
    On my Clara, the strap button is in the same place as raftergirl’s, though it also came from HMS. On my Farallon, the strap button is also located in the same spot and I think that came from Blackbird directly. There is no heel on the neck as it is a single piece construction.

    Great instrument. It really has a nice sound, is loud and is relatively trouble free which eases my mind. The richlite fingerboard is really comfortable and easy to play and I leave mine out since I don’t have to worry about humidity.

    Maybe your UAS will finally be cured! Enjoy and congratulations!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    4,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrdr View Post
    On my Clara, the strap button is in the same place as raftergirl’s, though it also came from HMS. On my Farallon, the strap button is also located in the same spot and I think that came from Blackbird directly. There is no heel on the neck as it is a single piece construction.

    Great instrument. It really has a nice sound, is loud and is relatively trouble free which eases my mind. The richlite fingerboard is really comfortable and easy to play and I leave mine out since I don’t have to worry about humidity.

    Maybe your UAS will finally be cured! Enjoy and congratulations!
    Yes, I like the idea that it isn't delicate. I'll see what Blackbird says about the placement of the button.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    367

    Default

    If you look at the headstock, you will see a hole below the bottom tuner pegs. There is a hollow "tube" that runs the length of the neck and opens into the body. This contributes to the sound. This should be why drilling into the neck for a strap button is not recommended. It might affect the sound or the structural integrity of the neck.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    4,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow21 View Post
    If you look at the headstock, you will see a hole below the bottom tuner pegs. There is a hollow "tube" that runs the length of the neck and opens into the body. This contributes to the sound. This should be why drilling into the neck for a strap button is not recommended. It might affect the sound or the structural integrity of the neck.
    Right. It's one big hollow piece from the body up to the headstock. Still, they put a button in the end of the bout, and HMS put one not far from the sound hole. When I get a reply from Blackbird, I'll let you know what they say.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Sparta, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,399

    Default

    Do they put a small block behind the attachment point so the screw doesn't pull out of the thin cellulose /resin material? Wouldn't think there is much material for the screw threads to grip and hold.

    A really fine pair of new instruments Jerry. Can't wait to see the artwork you decide on for the top of the Fluke.

    Enjoy!
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

    —Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •